Bread Pudding to Curl Your Teeth
  Re: (...)
Good Lord, this sounds decadent... can't wait to try it.

Dulce de Leche Bread Pudding

Crème anglaise
1/2 cup dulce de leche -- plus more for serving
4 tablespoons unsalted butter -- melted
4 large egg whites -- at room temperature
3/4 pound crustless challah -- cut into 1-inch cubes (10 cups)

Preheat the oven to 425° and butter a 2-quart shallow baking dish. In a large bowl, stir the crème anglaise with the 1/2 cup of dulce de leche and the butter. Whisk in the egg whites. Add the challah, stirring and gently mashing until the cubes are nearly soaked, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the bread mixture to the prepared baking dish and bake for about 12 minutes, until firm and bubbling around the edges.

Heat the broiler. Broil the pudding for 1 to 2 minutes, shifting the dish a few times, until browned all over. Cut the bread pudding into squares, drizzle with dulce de leche and serve.

Creme Anglaise:

MAKES ABOUT 2 1/4 CUPS

The single most nerve-racking thing about making this simple, elegant custard sauce is that it can overcook and curdle. Grace prevents this by preparing a cold-water bath and setting it near the stove before she even cracks an egg.

2 cups half-and-half or whole milk
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
1/2 cup sugar
4 large egg yolks, at room temperature

Set a large fine strainer over a medium bowl and set the bowl in a shallow pan of cold water.

In a large saucepan, combine the half-and-half and vanilla bean and cook over moderately low heat just until small bubbles appear around the rim, about 5 minutes.

In another medium bowl, whisk the sugar and egg yolks just until combined.

Whisk in half of the hot half-and-half in a thin stream. Pour the mixture into the saucepan and cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the sauce has thickened slightly, 4 to 5 minutes. Immediately strain the sauce into the bowl in the cold water bath to stop the cooking. Scrape the vanilla seeds into the sauce. Serve right away or refrigerate until chilled.

Description:
"This gooey bread pudding made with caramel-like dulce de leche from Latin America is so much more than the sum of its five parts. To add even more flavor, throw in a handful of fresh or frozen raspberries or blueberries before baking."
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Bread Pudding to Curl Your Teeth by cjs (Good Lord, this soun...)
Oh man...oh man...you had to do it didn't you! This is so good sounding. I FINALLY got to try the one from work last night...I am in heaven! Even Holly liked it and she "doesn't like bread pudding."

This is saved and ready for later!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
I think just showing it to him would have him in a diabetic coma, but I am sure am saving it for myself.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
Quote:

Good Lord, this sounds decadent... can't wait to try it.

This? Decadent? Wonder how it would be with cajeta (caramel/dulce de leche made with goat's milk) instead of regular dulce de leche. The first time I bought a bottle of it:
[Image: cajetacoronado1uz3.jpg]
to try on some ice cream, I wound up just going back to the bottle of it with a spoon, and downing it straight! YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Bread Pudding to Curl Your Teeth by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
That's why I can't have that 'stuff' in my house - that and Nutella.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Bread Pudding to Curl Your Teeth by cjs (That's why I can't h...)
Yeah. When I tried that with the Nutella, about the same thing happened, but by the end of it, I felt that I had had my fix, and wouldn't feel like getting more Nutella for a while. The cajeta, on the other hand, had me wanting more and more and more.... you get the picture.

Interestingly enough, when they did a "demo" of the cajeta in the store, they spread it on a cracker. LOL!
  Re: Re: Bread Pudding to Curl Your Teeth by labradors (Yeah. When I tried ...)
Oh my! Sharon wanders away muttering - "just say NO, just say No, just say maybe, just say maybe just a little bit! NO NO!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Bread Pudding to Curl Your Teeth by Harborwitch (Oh my! Sharon wande...)
I don't think we have that here and I have promised myself not to look in the Latin section of the store in town to verify this...well, maybe.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Bread Pudding to Curl Your Teeth by Gourmet_Mom (I don't think we hav...)
Quote:

I have promised myself not to look in the Latin section of the store in town to verify this.

...or, you could just promise yourself not to check on Amazon.

Re: Re: Bread Pudding to Curl Your Teeth by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
You are a very bad man!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.