Pickling Beets
  Re: (...)
It's been so long since I pickled beets I've forgotten some of the "how to's". The recipe seems incomplete since it doesn't mention blanching or cooking. I think the original recipe didn't either, but I'd just talked to the neighbor I got the recipe from and it was fresh in my mind.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Pickling Beets by bjcotton (It's been so long si...)
I've never made them, Billy, so I'm no help. But I'm with you, I'm pretty sure you cook them 'til just barely fork tender. Didn't somebody post a recipe for that on here a while back when we were all playing with beets? I'll go look.

BTW, don't go on my word for Pete's sake...wait for one of the "canners" on here.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Pickling Beets by bjcotton (It's been so long si...)
Billy, I have not made them. But both my canning books say to cook until tender then submerge in ice water for 1 minute to stop cooking.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Pickling Beets by esgunn (Billy, I have not ...)
Yes, I always boil or roast them for pickling. You're making me hungry for them. I've been canning all morning, might have to look for some beets seeing as how my little ones are still minuscule. I did pickled beans (for his bloody marys) and tomatoes.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pickling Beets by cjs (Yes, I always boil o...)
I always cook the beets also. Post the recipe, Billy, we'll tell you what's missing. (I think I've given you my recipe)

Pickled beans for his Bloody Mary's....and I think I spoil my guy!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Pickling Beets by Lorraine (I always cook the be...)
Here's the recipe "after" I modified it. We canned 24 pints today. We used balsamic vinegar instead of regular vinegar. The pickling liquid we had left over we are going to can also. We put some in a bowl and dipped bread in it, wow was it tasty.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Pickling Beets by bjcotton (Here's the recipe "a...)
Billy, I hate to throw this out there, and I really don't know very much about it. But you need to be careful with interchanging vinegars. They don't all have the same acidity, so may not do the same for preserving the foods. Would probably make a difference especially if you were not pressure cooking or processing the food.

Just a caution - and realize I have never pickled anything so may not know what I am talking about.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Pickling Beets by esgunn (Billy, I hate to t...)
Erin, I think you're right. It's been forever since I canned but the acid in the vinegar is the only preservative as beets are a base ph. I don't know for sure how to tell what the acid in balsamic would be as compared to apple cider vinegar
Jean, maybe you could use the miniscule beets to make a beet pasta dough for some ravioli? You wouldn't be sorry I promise
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Pickling Beets by farnfam (Erin, I think you're...)
Did I miss the recipe? Or am I having a "gray hair" moment?
  Re: Re: Pickling Beets by iBcookin (Did I miss the recip...)
Good idea, Cis, but these are just now coming up from seeds, thought I'd let them go over the winter. About time to start making pasta again.

Good point, Erin - I've read that somewhere and I know a lot of my recipes call for a certain % in the vinegar to use.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com