Green Tomatoes anyone?
  Re: (...)
I am going to have a ton of green tomatoes left in my garden. Anyone have some good ideas what I can do with them? My mom makes a green tomato relish but I am not crazy about it, I make a great tomato chutney, but it takes ripe tomatoes...
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Green Tomatoes anyone? by esgunn (I am going to have a...)
They can be used to make a jelly, but I've never really experimented with that.

Another thing I've never cooked, but for which I would love a "tried and true," "tested" recipe is Fried Green Tomatoes. I've had them enough to know that I love 'em, but that they sometimes can be kind of blah, so I'm looking for a good, traditional, Southern recipe with lots of flavour.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Green Tomatoes anyone? by labradors (They can be used to ...)
My grandmother and aunts used to make pickled green tomatoes. But I have no idea how they are made....sorry. As for fried green tomatoes, I have never had them nor made them.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Green Tomatoes anyone? by Gourmet_Mom (My grandmother and a...)
But that was a terriffic movie!!! I can still enjoy the parking lot crash scene, whenever I remember it I smile.
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Green Tomatoes anyone? by farnfam (But that was a terri...)
Weird, but true...It was YEARS after that movie came out before I saw it. If not for my daughter's insistence on Saturday afternoon, I don't know if I would have ever seen it. I'm glad I did! I now ask her for guidance when picking movies...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Green Tomatoes anyone? by Gourmet_Mom (Weird, but true...It...)
Erin, I'm in the same boat and last year I had a lot of green one also, so here's what I collected. Some I made and some are on the list for this year.

have not made this one yet -
Green Tomato Hash

2 cups leftover chopped beef -- pork or ham
1 cup diced raw potatoes
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup diced green tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped onion
salt and pepper -- to tast

Combine ingredients; mix well. Turn into a buttered casserole and bake at 325° for 1 hour.

Serves 4.

Description:
"Baked green tomato hash casserole is made with leftover meat, beef, or pork, and potatoes."
southernfood.about.com
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Erin, look this site over -
http://southernfood.about.com/od/greento...ecipes.htm
There is a list that I copied last year to get some ideas - and boy, do they have ideas!!

and this was a discussion we had last year - the pasta sauce (J. Weir's) is really good.

http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbt...=true#Post39959

Labs, here's a discussion we had on fried green tomatoes -
http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbt...=true#Post36754

----

Keep these ideas for green tomatoes coming, we're going to need them. Don't think it's going to be much above 40 degrees overnight anymore.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Green Tomatoes anyone? by cjs (Erin, I'm in the sam...)
Btw, I have only one little green tomato on my plant outside. I think I'll fry it....Tawanda!!!!
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Green Tomatoes anyone? by farnfam (Btw, I have only one...)
no one likes a braggart... and what all did you do with ALL your ripe tomatoes???
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Green Tomatoes anyone? by cjs (no one likes a bragg...)
....ALL my ripe tomatoes amounted to about 11 We just ate them fresh or in the Eggplant Tomato Stacks which were the big hit this summer. Oh, and we did stuff a couple Biba style.

As an added note: knowing the unpredictable frost could come any nite, I took the tomatoes in when still orange, cut off quite a bit of vine with them and let them finish on the counter. It worked pretty well too.
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Green Tomatoes anyone? by farnfam (....ALL my ripe toma...)
good idea, Cis - I think I'll try this when I finally give up.
www.achefsjourney.com