Supreme Pizza Soup & Cheesy Garlic Bread-REVIEW
  Re: (...)
First, let me say, I LOVE the Lasagna Soup. Since this recipe looked so much like it, I had high hopes.

Changes-
-I used sliced pepperoni.
-I used two 28 ounce cans diced tomatoes.
-I used 2 teaspoons chicken base instead of broth since I had used extra tomatoes.
-I used Jean's Pizza Dough for the bread.

Recommendations-
-Use diced pepperoni.
-While I don't think the extra tomato made much difference, I WOULD use Italian tomatoes next time instead....just breaking them up as you put them in the pot.
-Use chicken broth.
-Don't precook the pizza dough before adding the cheese...just make it like a regular pizza.
-Maybe try adding a little pasta next time.

We rated this 7 overall. But to be honest, this recipe had a LOT to live up to. I think the above recommendations would bring it up a notch or two, but the next time I want something like this, I'll make the Lasagna Soup.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Supreme Pizza Soup & Cheesy Garlic Bread-REVIEW by Gourmet_Mom (First, let me say, I...)
Thanks for the review, Daph. We just love that Lasagna Soup, it'd be a tough one to top.
Btw I did a Tortilla Soup from a FoodGawker link the other nite and it was one of the best I've had
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Supreme Pizza Soup & Cheesy Garlic Bread-REVIEW by farnfam (Thanks for the revie...)
Quote:

Btw I did a Tortilla Soup from a FoodGawker link the other nite and it was one of the best I've had,

Cis, there are two Tortilla Soup recipes on that site - "Chicken Tortilla Soup" (#4335) and "Tortilla Soup with Chicken and Lime" (#2059). Which did you use? Would love to try it!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Supreme Pizza Soup & Cheesy Garlic Bread-REVIE by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Rob, I'm thinking it was Chicken Tortilla Soup and the site was http://fortheloveofcooking-recipes.blogspot.com/
Now, I'll have to try the other you mentioned with the lime, sounds yummy
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Supreme Pizza Soup & Cheesy Garlic Bread-REVIE by farnfam (Rob, I'm thinking it...)
That site is sooo dangerous. I get sooo lost in some of the better blog sites! I still can't get over how fast it updates!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Supreme Pizza Soup & Cheesy Garlic Bread-REVIE by Gourmet_Mom (That site is sooo da...)
Where's the Lasagna soup? I think I made it also. Here's the review I did for the Pizza soup last month, we really liked it. I used my pizza dough also for the 'cheesy' bread and used it 'raw' to make the bread - someone was here and we were fighting over the pieces!!

"Oh my, this is delicious!! Someone (Cis? Maryann?) wanted the recipe, so here it is. I've made three out of this book now and all three are certainly winners!

Supreme Pizza Soup
makes 8 cups

Brown in 2 T. olive oil:
1/2 lb. bulk Italian sausage
1 pkg. stick pepperoni, casing removed, diced (6 oz.)I didn't peel, didn't seem to need it.

Add and saute:
2 cups button mushrooms, halved
1 cup red onion, diced
1/2 cup each: red bell pepper and green bell pepper, diced
1 T. garlic, minced
1 tsp. Italian seasoning (with all the fresh oregano and basil, this is what I used.)
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
Salt & pepper to taste

Stir in:
3 cans diced tomatoes in juice (14.5 oz. each)
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup canned black olives, halved

Brown sausage & pepperoni in oil in a large pot over medium-high heat, about 5 minutes; drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
Pour off all but 1 T. drippings and return pot to buner.

Add mushrooms and saute until they release their juices, 3 minutes.
Add onion, bell peppers, garlic, and seasonings; cook until vegies are getting soft, about 5 minutes.

Stir in remaining ingredients along with the reserved meat mixture.
Simmer soup until heated thru, 10-12 minutes.

Cheesy Garlic Bread
makes 8 wedges

2 T. unsalted butter
1 T. garlic, minced
1 premade pizza crust, such as Boboli(12")
5 oz. fresh mozzarella, sliced
Salt & pepper to taste
1 T. thinly sliced fresh basil
2 tsp. chopped fresh parsley

Preheat oven to 450 F.
Melt butter with garlic in a small saucepan over low heat, brush over pizza crust, then top with cheese, salt and pepper.

Bake bread directly on the oven rack until cheese is melted and bubbly, 10 minutes.
Remove from oven, sprinkle with herbs, and slice into 8 wedges.

I forgot to mention these two are from the new book - Soups, Stews & Chilies. "
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Supreme Pizza Soup & Cheesy Garlic Bread-REVIE by cjs (Where's the Lasagna ...)
Lasagna Soup Issue 54 p34. It's very very good Jean. I'm still thinking of trying the Pizza Soup, even if I have to mess around with it some. We're not bif pepperoni fans, so I might use Italian sausage or who knows what. The recipe gods will forgive me
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Supreme Pizza Soup & Cheesy Garlic Bread-REVIE by farnfam (Lasagna Soup Issue 5...)
O.K., now I'm with everyone on this soup - I've made both, the one from issue 54 and also the one in the Soup book - the only difference (at least what I noted on the recipe) is issue 54 calls for tomato sauce and the one in the Soup book does not. We liked both -

Lasagna Soup
(Cuisine at home, December 2005, Issue 54, p. 34)
Makes: 8 Cups

Brown; Stir in:
1 lb. bulk Italian sausage
2 cups onions, chopped
1 cup carrots, diced
2 cups mushrooms, sliced
2 T. garlic, minced

Add; Stir in:
4 cups chicken broth
1 can Italian-style stewed tomatoes, chopped (141/2 oz.)
1 can tomato sauce (103/4 oz.)
1 cup mafalda pasta
2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
1 cup provolone cheese or fresh mozzarella, diced

Garnish with:
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
4 t. thinly sliced fresh basil

Brown sausage in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and carrots; saute 3 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and garlic, and saute another 3 minutes.

Add broth, stewed tomatoes, and tomato sauce, and bring to a boil. Drop in pasta and simmer until cooked, about 10 minutes, or according to package directions. Stir in spinach and cook until wilted. Place 1/4 cup cheese into serving bowls and pour soup on top.

Garnish with Parmesan and basil.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Supreme Pizza Soup & Cheesy Garlic Bread-REVIE by cjs (O.K., now I'm with e...)
There's a lot more chicken broth and then there's the addition of the pasta, spinach, and cheese. The cheese in the bottom of the bowl is what William liked best. I like the addition of the spinach, too. Then there's also no pepperoni. Funny, I LOVE pepperoni on my pizza, but I think that may be what made this soup lesser in comparison to the Lasagna Soup. I really like it better.

I should have known better than to precook the dough....ARG! In my defense on the bread, they said use a store bought crust and they're precooked.
Daphne
  Re: Supreme Pizza Soup & Cheesy Garlic Bread-REVIEW by Gourmet_Mom (First, let me say, I...)
Great review Daphne. I have been wanting to try this since Jean posted it a while back. I have not been able to fit it into my schedule yet. But, the Lasagna pizza is on my list too.

Better do both!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura