Creamy Crab Bisque-REVIEW
  Re: (...)
This recipe is from the Soups, Stews, and Chilies book. We LOVE crab, so I had high hopes for this recipe. Unfortunately, I will probably not make this again. It just had no flavor unless you added a LOT of Tabasco. It may appeal to some, but the flavor just wasn't there in our opinion.

Changes-
-I subbed half and half for heavy cream.
-I used 2% milk instead of whole.

Recommendations-
-Maybe eliminate the whole milk and increase the clam juice and/or cream/half and half.
-Use butter instead of olive oil.

It's funny, I just compared this to my Alexander Sauce, and there is not a lot of difference except for my recommendations. Mine also used regular onion and does not have celery and carrot. (Although, I don't think the celery and carrot would have changed the flavor all that much....especially not to make it bland.) I have made my sauce successfully with half and half, so I think that substitution is fine. Good luck! I'd love to know if someone has success with this one and what they did to make the flavor exciting.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Creamy Crab Bisque-REVIEW by Gourmet_Mom (This recipe is from ...)
I have a leftover pkg. of crab in the freezer that I wanted to use in this one - hmmmmm, will look at again. thanks Daphne. (That will be the first for this book!)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Creamy Crab Bisque-REVIEW by cjs (I have a leftover pk...)
I don't know if you have any left over, but you may want to try adding a bit of dijon to a bowl to see if that helps. When all else fails, you can add cheese and make it a dip! Thanks for the review, Daphne. I had this on my list as well. Maybe it will be removed!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Creamy Crab Bisque-REVIEW by chef_Tab (I don't know if you ...)
"adding a bit of dijon to a bowl" - good idea, Tab!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Creamy Crab Bisque-REVIEW by cjs ("adding a bit of dij...)
Thanks for the review. I guess it can move down the list for now.
  Re: Re: Creamy Crab Bisque-REVIEW by Trixxee (Thanks for the revie...)
Maybe replace the clam juice with a crab stock or another shellfish stock???
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Creamy Crab Bisque-REVIEW by Gourmet_Mom (This recipe is from ...)
You can try adding some Old Bay Seasoning.
rosie
  Re: Re: Creamy Crab Bisque-REVIEW by ktsrosie (You can try adding s...)
I had the leftovers for lunch today. I added the crab to the bisque in my microwaveable bowl so that it heated with the bisque. It tasted much better. I'm thinking that with the changes I mentioned above and adding the crab to the pot at the end, this may be doable. I may would even leave out the carrot. You could taste the carrot, even today, and it just didn't seem to "go" with the other flavors. Maybe more celery and leek. For presentation, you could always add a little more crab to the bowl as written.

The main thing was that the seafood flavor was not strong enough as the recipe was written. As LJ pointed out the addition of a stronger stock or a greater ratio of dairy/clam juice would help a lot. I also like the Old Bay idea, as well.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Creamy Crab Bisque-REVIEW by ktsrosie (You can try adding s...)
Quote:

You can try adding some Old Bay Seasoning.

Old Bay seasoning in crab is magic, Regards, Old Bay
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Creamy Crab Bisque-REVIEW by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
In Maryland we add Old Bay seasoning to just about everything made with Blue Crab. I also use "Better Than Bouillon" Lobster Base in my crab, shrimp or lobster bisque. A little goes a long way. You just need to cut back on the salt in any recipe you use it in.
rosie