Bottom Freezer Refrigerators???
  Re: (...)
I am in the market for a bottom freezer refrigerator. Three of my appliances, my fridge, dishwasher and microwave all went out at the same time. I currently have a side by side but want a bottom freezer. I thought I was set to purchase the Kenmore Elite Trio but recently read some bad reviews. I hear the Samsung, LG and GE Profile are the ones to consider. I understand Jenn Aire has a nice one as well. I like the French doors, Stainless and the water and ice through the door. Any suggestions, recommendations??? Thanks for your insight.
  Re: Bottom Freezer Refrigerators??? by wheatleyp1 (I am in the market f...)
We just purchased a Samsung 3-door refrigerator with ice and water in the door. We purchased it because Consumer reports said the dual compressors (one for freezer and one for fridge) was most efficient in getting the job done. I love it... But I am not happy with the water and ice in the door. Why? Because the fridge mounted ice maker takes up way too much room and does not hold very much ice. We run out of ice nearly daily (family of 4). It would never be able to keep up with 'entertaining', you would have to buy ice. We haul ice up from the downstairs fridge to supplement our ice needs. Not to mention that with ice in the door the front of my fridge needs to be wiped down because there is always a 'water streak' coming from that area.

Now my father has the Kenmore which is about the same size, with no ice and water in the door and his fridge hold way more stuff.

THe thing is not only do you lose space IN the fridge, but also in the door. I did not think of this when purchaseing and wish I had. If I could change one thing in my kitchen, this would be it.

HOpe this helps.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Bottom Freezer Refrigerators??? by luvnit (We just purchased a ...)
I want the same thing, and would skip the service in the door. We had a GE Profile bottom freezer model at our previous home and I really liked the interior space in the regrigerator. My sister has the LG French door model and likes it a lot. The refrigerator holds an incredible amount. I want to replace all my appliances soon, and will be interested to see what comments you get, too.
  Re: Re: Bottom Freezer Refrigerators??? by HomeCulinarian (I want the same thin...)
Unless it was just a great coincidence, if they all went out at the same time, you should probably invest in some good surge protectors for whatever new appliances you do get.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Bottom Freezer Refrigerators??? by labradors (Unless it was just a...)
IF you like Sears products, you might first of all check them out - we replaced three appliances at the same time and got a 20% rebate!!! And, we love the appliances...well, except the bottom freezer! (have friends who took advantage of this rebate a few months after us, so they offer it quite often)

If you like 'chest' type freezers of old, you'll be fine with this, but I've always disliked them - I put too many small pkgs. in the freezer and I'm forever losing things that get clear to the bottom of the d*mn drawer. (I use little plastic buckets to contain them, but they don't work that well either). BUT - I would (and will) put up with this feature just for my frige - the French doors are wonderful and even with catering I haven't overfilled the frige yet. We opted for the little cold water spigot on the inside side wall instead of losing space with the door dispenser and really like this feature.

that's my 2 cents...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Bottom Freezer Refrigerators??? by cjs (IF you like Sears pr...)
I agree with you Jean. I also have disliked the chest-style freezers and therefore am not in love with this one either. I used it for everyday items: couple of pizzas, some frozen veggies, package of chicken and ground beef, popsicles. But for the bulk of my frozen items I use our BIG freezer in the basement (it's an upright freezer). If I didn't have the freezer in the basement, I don't know what I would do.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Bottom Freezer Refrigerators??? by luvnit (I agree with you Jea...)
That's what I do also, Laura.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Bottom Freezer Refrigerators??? by cjs (That's what I do als...)
When we bought our refrig/freezer my sis insisted on a side-by-side. I hate it...small refrigerator and small freezer with the ice/water dispenser in the freezer door. I wanted one with the bottom freezer and french doors or just a refrigerator, we have 2 freezers in the garage.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Bottom Freezer Refrigerators??? by bjcotton (When we bought our r...)

I have the Kenmore refrigerator probably like Jean's
my water dispenser is in the inside - I agree with the problems with the
bottom freezer basket - as I tend to load it up - and can't find anything

But I do like this refrigerator so much better than the side by side -

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Bottom Freezer Refrigerators??? by luvnit (We just purchased a ...)
Thanks Laura. That was the one thing I noticed about the Samsung but they say the space is so much larger that the ice maker inside does not matter. I did not like the aesthetics of the ice maker being inside either.