"Family" Potato Recipe...By Request!
  Re: (...)
This one comes from Holly's Grandfather's Sister...it is a family favourite that I have not had in the three years I have been "a part of the family" so it is one of those that you think of every now and again but don't make often!

Recipe

8 - 10 medium potatoes, mashed
1 8 oz. pkg. Cream cheese
1 C. sour cream
Minced onions
a little garlic
1 stick oleo ( at least)-gotta love the "oleo" reference...I am assuming it is for buttering the casserole dish since there is no other reference to butter in the recipe (fyi-I am using BUTTER)
Parmesan cheese

Beat the Sour creamd and cream cheese together til softened. Mix altogether. You want it to be a little soupy because it'll dry out. Put into well-buttered casserole dish. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and bake 1 hour at 350. If in a deep casserole, or frozen it'll take a little longer to bake.

I am assuming it can be mixed and frozen in advance by the reference to baking it while frozen in the recipe. I have never had it so making it tonight will be a good test of me and the recipe.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: "Family" Potato Recipe...By Request! by firechef (This one comes from ...)
This is exactly how (ingredient wise) I made my roasted garlic mashed potatoes at the hotel - everyone raved about them - always!!

As far as the butter, I also added butter into the potatoes.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: "Family" Potato Recipe...By Request! by cjs (This is exactly how ...)
Thanks for the increased confidence Jean! At work I do a mix of heavy cream, whole milk and white pepper and some garlic paste and Boursin Cheese all heated together and added to the potatoes as they hit the mixer coming from the steamer.

This one is from a 90+ year old Alzheimer's patient that is the last of the "previous generation" on Holly's Dad's side of the family.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: "Family" Potato Recipe...By Request! by firechef (Thanks for the incre...)
But what do you call it LJ? "Recipe?" It's gotta have a name! That would be like calling your dog....well, dog!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: "Family" Potato Recipe...By Request! by bjcotton (But what do you call...)
This really does look good LJ. I used to do a mashed potato puff very similar to this. I don't think it had sour cream, just butter, chive, and cream cheese. Baked, it would "puff" up. I have not made this in sooo long. I may have to make this again soon!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: "Family" Potato Recipe...By Request! by Gourmet_Mom (This really does loo...)
This is an old standby recipe found in probably every church or ladies group cookbook, oleo and all.