apple sauce
  Re: (...)
HI All,

Have a bunch of apples from the orchard. Does anybody have an apple sauce recipe that they have tried and made and loved? I do have a food mill so thats not a problem.

Thanks
  Re: apple sauce by piano226 (HI All,[br][br]Have ...)
Here's one that we like very much - very simple. I like to blend all kinds of apples when I make sauce, but that's just a personal thing.

Applesauce

4 pounds McIntosh apples
2 Cinnamon sticks
5 ounces Granulated sugar
1/2 fluid ounce Lemon juice

Peel, core and quarter the apples. Place in a saucepan with just enough cold water to cover the bottom of the pan. Add the cinnamon sticks.

Bring to a simmer, cover and cook until the apples are tender, approximately 15 minutes.

Add the sugar and lemon juice. Simmer for 10 minutes.

Remove the cinnamon sticks and press the apples through a food mill.

Yield:
"1 quart"

===

also, do you like applebutter??

* Exported from MasterCook *

Crockpot Apple Butter

7 cups applesauce -- preferable homemade, but a good-quality commercial kind (unsweetened) can be substituted
2 cups apple cider
1 1/2 cups honey
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. ground allspice

In a crockpot, mix all the ingredients.
Cover and cook on low heat for 14 to 15 hours, or until the mixture is a deep brown.
Pack while hot into 4 hot pint jars.
Process in a hot-water bath for 10 minutes, counting the time after the jars have been immersed and the water comes again to a rolling boil.

Makes 4 pints

This is a simple version that starts with store-bought applesauce, cooked a long time in a crockpot. But it tastes just like the old-fashioned kind, baked down in a copper kettle over an open fire. Sweetened with honey, it has a smooth, smooth texture

Description:
"Marcia Adams, Cooking from Quilt Country"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: apple sauce by cjs (Here's one that we l...)
Hey Jean, my Nana used to make apple sauce that came out RED in colour. I think the peels were involved but I am not sure...ever heard of anything like that???
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: apple sauce by firechef (Hey Jean, my Nana us...)
I'm not Jean, but I have a neighbor that makes a red apple sauce using cinnamon candy. Do you think that is what she used?
http://family.go.com/food/recipe-cp-2361...plesauce-t
"There is no love sincerer than the love of food".
  Re: Re: apple sauce by maggiemoo (I'm not Jean, but I ...)
This is a good recipe that I got from a book (Apple Magic) I purchased at an apple orchard many years ago.

Ruth’s Applesauce

Apples, favorite variety
Sugar to taste
Cinnamon to taste
Juice of fresh lemon (or lemons)

Wash and slice apples into eighths, (do not peel). Cut away core. Cut each eighth into 2 or 3 parts. Place in large cooking vessel (may have to use 2 or 3 pots). Add about 2 or 3 cups of water (depending upon size of pot).
Cook stirring frequently to prevent apples from sticking to bottom of pot (add water if necessary). When all are soft place small amounts in Foley Food Mill, and grind until most of the apples have gone through the sieve. The skin of the apple adds character to the sauce when riced through the food mill.
After apples are sieved, add sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice, small amounts at a time to taste. The sauce may be canned in the usual manner or frozen in freezer bags, jars or freezer containers.

Variation: Plums (Italian small purple variety) are a great addition to the sauce. Cook together with the apples and omit the cinnamon.

Ruth Cates, Silver Spring, MD
  Re: Re: apple sauce by firechef (Hey Jean, my Nana us...)
Aside from the apples sauce made with Red Hots, if you cook the apples (A red variety) with the skin on then you will end up with pink apple sauce. I made some with some sort of apples off of one of the really old apple trees on our property and it was great apple sauce. After just ran it throught the fruit strainer on my KA and it took all the skins out.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: apple sauce by esgunn (Aside from the apple...)
When we lived in New Jersey, we had a couple of trees that we thought were crab apples - especially because of the small fruit they bore. Well, that size turned out to be due to an infestation of bag worms. Once we go rid of those, we started getting nice, normal-sized apples that we found out were Gravensteins. They were superb for applesauce.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: apple sauce by labradors (When we lived in New...)
No it turns out she added red food colouring. Did the same thing to the apple jelly too...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: apple sauce by firechef (No it turns out she ...)
food coloring! My mother used to add red and/or green food coloring to her canned pears - they looked so pretty on the plate.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: apple sauce by cjs (food coloring! My mo...)
Jean, I made the applesauce recipe you posted last night. I don't know why, but I cannot eat the store bought applesauce, it makes me gag. I did not run it through a food mill, just mashed it a bit with my potato masher and ate two bowl fulls. I didn't even wait for it to cool much. It smelled too good and tasted fabulous. Thanks for sharing that.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!