OT- Mozilla
  Re: (...)
Due to state and local internet needs, I have had to download Mozilla. I had never used this, but after using it this weekend at home, I think I like it better than IE. Anybody use this? What is your take on it compared to IE?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: OT- Mozilla by Gourmet_Mom (Due to state and loc...)
Have you tried Chrome by Google? I prefer it over Mozilla.
  Re: Re: OT- Mozilla by DFen911 (Have you tried Chrom...)
I've been using Firefox since it was in beta testing and called "Phoenix" (then "Firebird," after that). Unless one absolutely MUST visit a website that uses ActiveX (or some other proprietary Micro$oft nonsense), there's really never any reason to go back to IE after having used Firefox, Opera, or Chrome.

So far, because of other work and a hard-drive failure on my Windows machine, I haven't tried Chrome, yet, so I'll have to reserve judgment on that.

Something else that will REALLY cement a love for Firefox is to get the "AdBlock Plus" extension. I really get a fresh appreciation for it when I have to work on someone else's computer using IE, and see all those ads all over the place (especially in places like Yahoo mail and Google).
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: OT- Mozilla by labradors (I've been using Fire...)
Thanks for the AdBlock info Labs! I knew you would have a line on this stuff! I will continue to explore all this system has to offer. So far, I like what I see! Even this site looks different on Mozilla! Not to mention the clarity of the screens!

Thanks for the info on Chrome, Denise. I will check it out, but I will have to continue to use Mozilla due to state and local school system restrictions. What does it have to offer that Mozilla does not...just in case I decide to use it for personal use?

Quote:

So far, because of other work and a hard-drive failure on my Windows machine, I haven't tried Chrome, yet, so I'll have to reserve judgment on that.

Labs, I'd love to know what you mean about this comment regarding Chrome, though? Are you saying the hard-drive failure is due to Chrome...please clarify.

BTW, is it just me, but are the UBB Codes acting weird on Mozilla? They jump to the end of my post instead of inserting where I have my cursor. Also, quotes are no longer in the neat little boxes, but set off with lines and indented.
Daphne
  Re: Re: OT- Mozilla by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks for the AdBlo...)
Quote:

Labs, I'd love to know what you mean about this comment regarding Chrome, though? Are you saying the hard-drive failure is due to Chrome...please clarify.

Heavens no! It is BECAUSE of the hard-drive failure, and other work, that I have not had the time to check out Chrome.

Quote:

BTW, is it just me, but are the UBB Codes acting weird on Mozilla? They jump to the end of my post instead of inserting where I have my cursor. Also, quotes are no longer in the neat little boxes, but set off with lines and indented.

Because of potential security problems on ANY website, I also use an extension called "NoScript," so the UBB-Code links don't work for me at all. I could whitelist this site, but I never use the links, anyway. As someone who has been typing programs for thirty years, I always just type the UBB-Code tags directly, as I type the message, instead of taking my hands away from the keyboard to move the mouse just to click a link that would produce what I could have typed in the same amount of time, anyhow. Thus, I haven't really noticed where the tags from the links get placed.

As for the way quotes are displayed, I can tell you (from web-design experience) that Internet Explorer does a number of things that are not standard, and some of those things involve how the "neat little boxes" are drawn. Some web designers are slaves to Micro$oft, and never bother to include code that would allow such boxes, etc. to work with ALL browsers, instead of just IE (many of them don't even know that the IE codes are non-standard, nor even that other codes exist). That means that some websites DO look different among different browsers.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: OT- Mozilla by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
All we use is Mozilla.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: OT- Mozilla by firechef (All we use is Mozill...)
Thanks for the explanation Labs! That makes sense. I can't imagine having all those codes in my head....LOL! Although, I can remember using web design programs a few years back... Front Page and DreamWeaver. I was a lot more familiar with codes back then. Now, I've gotten used to using design programs.

One of these days, I'm gonna design my own site. I know for sure who to call when I do. Be forewarned...that day is not far off! I've just got to figure out how to post it on the net. That's all that's been holding me back. PM me with info on both or either.
Daphne
  Re: Re: OT- Mozilla by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks for the expla...)
I haven't the foggiest idea what you three are talking about, but this caught my eye -

"One of these days, I'm gonna design my own site. I know for sure who to call when I do. Be forewarned...that day is not far off! I've just got to figure out how to post it on the net. That's all that's been holding me back. PM me with info on both or either."

I've been wanting to get a website going to sell the cookbooks, Roy's 'stuff,' etc. Been thinking I'd ask around town for someone to do it for me - what should I look for in a person to do it? Seeing as how the only question I can think to ask is, "Will you do it for me?"
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: OT- Mozilla by cjs (I haven't the foggie...)
All the IT folks here use something other than Microsoft IE. I use IE because that's what I'm used to. I've tried the others and think they're fine, but our mainframe systems here don't work with anything else.
  Re: Re: OT- Mozilla by HomeCulinarian (All the IT folks her...)
First off, Jean, I'd ask to see some of their sites. Having not actually done it yet myself, I wouldn't know. Maybe Labs will have an answer for you.
Daphne