Our cocktail party - Food Review
  Re: (...)
We had a little party at our house for the neighbor the other day. Poor thing she's been through a lot: husband left for another woman, left her with house and kid, no money for support, she lost her car, now she's losing her home. Her life has been crazy for the past 2 years with all the lies her husband was telling her. She's moving in with her parents and starting her life over. She doesn't know it yet, but she will be fine.

But on the the party. I made three things from the Cuising at Home Holiday book from last year: Shrimp toast, Muffeletta finger sandwiches and Cosmopolitan punch

Honestly, they were all WONDERFUL, but the biggest hits were the punch and the shrimp toast. I could have doubled the shrimp toast recipe and made everyone happy.

That's not all that we had though. Other people brought stuff too. It was sort of an awkward party occasion.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Our cocktail party - Food Review by luvnit (We had a little part...)
Hopefully, she'll get to the place in her head and heart where she knows that despite what her life style will be for a while, she is SO darn MUCH BETTER OFF without him in her life!!!

I think it's great to have a party for her and now I'm off to look at those dishes!! I just hope I have that book.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Our cocktail party - Food Review by cjs (Hopefully, she'll ge...)
Oh good Laura, even if it was awkward as an "occasion", it was such a nice, encouraging thing to do for her. I'm so glad you did that.
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Our cocktail party - Food Review by farnfam (Oh good Laura, even ...)
Thanx for the reviews in the Holiday book. I'm looking for ideas because I think we'll have a holiday open house in early December.

And, that was a sweet thing to do for your neighbor. Hoping she finds her way back to self confidence very soon.
  Re: Our cocktail party - Food Review by luvnit (We had a little part...)
Oh Laura it's so great that you threw the party for her. It seems that it is the latest "trend" to have "break-up" parties. That's a good thing because it focuses your mind on the positives!

Aren't those finger sandwiches great! We loved them.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Our cocktail party - Food Review by Harborwitch (Oh Laura it's so gre...)
Laura that has to be one of the nicest things for you to do. I am sure that brightened her spirits What a great friend you are!
  Re: Re: Our cocktail party - Food Review by DFen911 (Laura that has to be...)
Laura - that was a wonderful idea! I am *sure* your friend will be ok.
  Re: Re: Our cocktail party - Food Review by Trixxee (Laura - that was a w...)
Good for you, Laura, not an easy thing to do. Sure sounds like a fun thing to do, though!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Our cocktail party - Food Review by Lorraine (Good for you, Laura,...)
What a sweet thing to do, Laura! I'm thinking I may have to get that book now. If the finger sammies are anywhere near a good as the regular sized ones...OMG! The shrimp toast and punch sound great as well!

Now, if someone wants to post any or all of those recipes while I try to send off my order, I won't be hurt...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Our cocktail party - Food Review by Gourmet_Mom (What a sweet thing t...)
Well, couldn't sleep, so I'm on early this a.m. Maybe I'll go post them for you, Daphne.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com