Food movies
  Re: (...)
Some time ago we had a discussion about our favorite food movies. I've tried to search for it, but just can't seem to find it. This is for a friend and I recommended Tortilla Soup and Chocolat. Can anyone post a few more for me, or help me find the original discussion?

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Food movies by Mare749 (Some time ago we had...)
I loved Tortilla Soup, but I must tell you, "little chef" in Ratatouie (sp?) was my favorite.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
Maryann, I don't know which post you are looking for - but did you try searching for "movie" with movie in quotes. And I used newer than 2 years. There were 162 that came up. A couple looked promising. I think that may be where you want to start.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Food movies by Old Bay (I loved Tortilla Sou...)
Here's a link to my post about this from a year ago, minus ten days.

Eat Drink Man Woman is the original movie upon which Tortilla Soup was based, and I liked it much more.

Others include:
  • Big Night - Also great for fans of Monk, since Tony Shalhoub is one of the stars. Were I to mention the play from which this draws some parallels, I would give away too much, though.
  • Mostly Martha - The original of the next film listed.
  • No Reservations - The American remake of Mostly Marth, and it's mostly very close. The ending is a little different, but still works well.
  • Chocolat - Already mentioned. Great movie.
  • Ratatouille - Likewise.
  • Babette's Feast - Classic.
  • Who Is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe? - Comedy classic.
  • Chinese Feast - Only heard about it.
  • The Wedding Banquet - Haven't seen it. Need to see it. This is the big, food movie made by Ang Lee BEFORE he did Eat Drink Man Woman.
  • Dinner Rush - Have only heard of this one, but it is, supposedly, a Mafia movie that takes place in an Italian restaurant, and involves the sous chef.

One of the difficulties about "food movies" is that most of US, here, really want "cooking movies," NOT just food-related movies (e.g. we are probably interested in Babette's Feast, but NOT Fast-Food Nation). In addition, although there may be other movies that feature or mention food in some way, they may not really feature cooking (e.g. Fried Green Tomatoes). In addition, some "food movies" or even "cooking movies" can be rather outré in other ways. With those things in mind, and appropriate warnings, here are a few others that one MAY consider:
  • Like Water for Chocolate - VERY R rated, though a good movie. The title has a double meaning in Spanish (the original language of the film): it can mean "boiling hot" with passion, or "boiling hot" with anger.
  • The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover - Also VERY R rated, and much more difficult to watch.
  • Delicatessen - Not as R rated as the above, but very strange.
  • Eating Raoul - Classic, low-budget dark comedy, that's more of a "food movie" than a "cooking movie." Due to the nature of the premise, it contains many outrageous sexually related situations, and some partial nudity, but still remains R rated.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Food movies by labradors ([url=http://www.foru...)
Thank you Labs, that is exactly what I was looking for! Cooking movies are more desirable than food movies. I've seen a few of those on your list myself and loved them all.

Erin, thank you! for showing me how to use the search feature. That is the first time I have been successful in finding a post and Labs original post was the first one to pop up.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Food movies by Mare749 (Thank you Labs, that...)
Oh Goody! Off to Netflix
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Food movies by farnfam (Oh Goody! Off to Net...)
NetFlix - we've been talking of joining, but just haven't done it. I know I copied all the movies you all mentioned a year or so ago, but guess I'll copy it again.

The last one we saw, food/chefs related, we weren't impressed with at all. God, I miss my mind - can't remember the gals name in it, Michael Douglas' wife...I think.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Food movies by cjs (NetFlix - we've been...)
That was Catherine Zeta-Jones in No Reservations. As I said, it was a remake of the German movie Mostly Martha. For the most part, I liked each of them, but would give the edge to the original. Even so, the slightly different ending on No Reservations has its own merits, as well.

P.S.: NetFlix is one of the best-run businesses and websites out there. It has been four years since I used them, but before I moved down here, I had subscribed since the only mailing centre they had was in California. Even with that distance to cover, their deliveries of DVDs was remarkably fast. The key to getting the best value out of NetFlix is to watch a DVD the day you receive it, then drop it into the mail the next day. Yes, it's true that they don't have any late fees, but if you hold onto a movie for a long time, then you're not getting the next movie on your list. Therefore, you wouldn't be receiving as many movies as possible for your monthly fee. Either way, though, it is a great service and a great deal, and when I had it, I just zipped through big batches of DVDs, such as every Buster Keaton movie they had, the entire Godfather series, some favourite, old TV series, such as Captain Scarlet and the Thunderbirds, and lots of others.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
I was going to recommend Chocolat but you already have that down. There is another great cooking movie called Like Water For Chocolate, its a romance from director Alfonso Arau who was nominated for an Independent Spirit Award and a Golden Globe. Tita is in love with Pedro but her controlling mother forbids her from marrying him. When Pedro instead marries her sister, Tita throws herself into her cooking -- and discovers she can transfer her emotions through the food she prepares. I love this film and highly recommend it to those who love to cook.
  Re: Re: Food movies by DanHumphrey (I was going to recom...)
I've got this on my Netflix list!
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life