Good News/Bad News-KINDA OT
  Re: (...)
Hey everyone I will not be around as much the next few weeks...that's the good news to many!

Today the hotel general manager from the hotel I am a Chef at calls me and tells me he has a shortage in the kitchen with two banquets and no dish washer and needs leadership for the day shift. Mind you I was scheduled in at 2:00 pm and it is only about 10 minutes before nine in the morning. Of course my first thought is "Why isn't the Executive Chef calling me with this information?" I of course said I will be there as soon as possible and walked in around 10:40 am to a chorus of "Thank God you're here!" That is when I found out the Executive Chef WALKED OUT with ZERO NOTICE!!! I was the first one to answer the phone so I got the 12 hour day today and am now in line to be a "Co-Chef" of the the place possibly. For the time being my schedule is Sundays from 7am to 3pm, Mondays from 2pm to 10pm and Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 8am to 10pm and Friday and Saturday from 8am to 11pm!!! Needless to say that leaves little time for the computer or ANYTHING ELSE!!! Yikes...but oh what fun it is to chase your dreams!!!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Good News/Bad News-KINDA OT by firechef (Hey everyone I will ...)
Good luck my friend!
Chef de Cuisine
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
Congratulations, LJ. Those are some pretty long hours but, you're right, it's fun to chase your dreams!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Good News/Bad News-KINDA OT by pjcooks (Congratulations, LJ....)
Cool! Don't overdo it, though, and keep your eyes open for signs of WHY that other guy may have felt it necessary to quit so abruptly. Just because he is gone doesn't mean the problems that brought about this need went with him.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Good News/Bad News-KINDA OT by labradors (Cool! Don't overdo ...)
Quote:

Cool! Don't overdo it, though, and keep your eyes open for signs of WHY that other guy may have felt it necessary to quit so abruptly. Just because he is gone doesn't mean the problems that brought about this need went with him.

I am thinking the other guy left because of those ridiculous hours! I wish you luck and happiness, but there is more to life than work. Hopefully, the long hours are for the short term. Your children are young for such a short period, I hate to see you miss out on that.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
Wow! Good luck LJ, and as everyone else said, be watchful and protect some time for your family. I know you're up for this and can do it!

And - as I have always said - a little paranoia never hurts; after all it's only hindsight in advance.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Good News/Bad News-KINDA OT by Harborwitch (Wow! Good luck LJ, ...)
"I am thinking the other guy left because of those ridiculous hours!" - Tab, those are normal hours in the kitchen...that be the way of life.

Good luck LJ.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Good News/Bad News-KINDA OT by cjs ("I am thinking the o...)
I'm happy that you're happy, LJ. It shows you've proven your value. You should take the gig and do it as long as you're "lovin' it". Youl'll find it's time to move on sometime after the love has faded and before it's gone from no fun anymore to sheer drudgery. I recommend avoiding the dramatic exit ... I think it hurts ones chances for future opportunities.

It's good to chase your dreams, and it's also good to have life balance; ie, seeing your pretty little Kambree grow up.

We'll look forward to "seeing you" here when you can find the time.
  Re: Re: Good News/Bad News-KINDA OT by HomeCulinarian (I'm happy that you'r...)
OH, LJ! WOW! I know you'll do great! Good luck! My how things change, and quickly...LOL! Try to pop in from time to time to say hi and tell us about all your success!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Good News/Bad News-KINDA OT by Gourmet_Mom (OH, LJ! WOW! I kno...)
Best of luck , LJ!!

" Don't overdo it, "
I thinkk if the job calls for it, he'll be doing it.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.