Quick Sausage & Butternut Squash Soup Question
  Re: (...)
I'm looking at the recipe and for some reason I was surprised that you do not roast the squash first. Should I be surprised? For those of you who made it, did you follow the directions and just saute it for 5 minutes then add broth and simmer 10 minutes until soft?
  Re: Quick Sausage & Butternut Squash Soup Question by Trixxee (I'm looking at the r...)
Yes, I followed the directions, although I did brown the squash a little more than it called for. Great soup.
Shannon
  Re: Re: Quick Sausage & Butternut Squash Soup Question by Dismc (Yes, I followed the ...)
Same here Trixxee! Like I said in the another post on this...I liked it a lot, but William LOVED it! He's still talking about it. Nothing new seems to measure up this week..LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Quick Sausage & Butternut Squash Soup Question by Gourmet_Mom (Same here Trixxee! ...)
Trixxee, I did roast my chunks before adding them, I just love the flavor of the roasting. But, probably doesn't make that big a difference since everyone loves it so much without doing that.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Quick Sausage & Butternut Squash Soup Question by cjs (Trixxee, I did roast...)
Boy, what a hit this was. Very decadent tasting. But everything too about twice as long to cook as the recipe stated. And I only went with 2 tablespoons of brandy and I'm glad I did. Three would have been too strong for us. Definitely a do over and I'm glad there are leftovers.

Thanks everyone.
  Re: Re: Quick Sausage & Butternut Squash Soup Questio by Trixxee (Boy, what a hit this...)
Bob and I got in the kitchen and played with this last night and boy was it good.

I didn't have Italian sausage - but I did have some chipotle sausages (from Costco) that we just sliced and cooked.

Our butternut squash wasn't quite big enough (only 1 pound) so we added a half pound of sweet potato (putting it in first to give it a bit more cooking time).

Bob roasted a poblano and we skinned and diced that and about a half cup of diced red pepper - and skipped the pepper flakes.

The sage didn't sound quite right with the chipotle so we added chopped fresh oregano.

I didn't have any spinach - but we bought some beautiful beets and used the greens for the soup. We added the salt & pepper and tasted. It was GOOOOOOD, but we added bourbon instead of the brandy. Now it was GREAT. WOW!!!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Quick Sausage & Butternut Squash Soup Question by Trixxee (I'm looking at the r...)
This soup was a big hit at our house too! Definitely a keeper. I followed the recipe exactly, but I believe I did have to cook the squash a little longer than it said.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Quick Sausage & Butternut Squash Soup Question by luvnit (This soup was a big ...)
LOL! Sharon, talk about playing with a recipe...I think you just invented a whole new dish!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Quick Sausage & Butternut Squash Soup Question by Gourmet_Mom (LOL! Sharon, talk a...)
Oh yeah! It was fantastic. The basic recipe is so good that I think you can play with it forever and I plan on it! Oh I forgot to mention - we used 1 cup of beer and 3 cups of chicken stock! Just couldn't see water
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!