ISO - Pork Shoulder
  Re: (...)
Ok so it was on sale and I bought it. I have 10 pound, bone in pork shoulder.

I can't find the thread (still haven't figured out the darn search. Google finds them but you can't expand the thread) with all the recipes.

I am looking to a do a rub, cook low and slow. I'm think about 250-275 for several hours. So I need a rub that will give that nice skin that is a little sweet, but more on a savory side. And how long should I cook it? I've heard from 5 hours to 18 hours. I don't normally do large cuts of meat

Thanks
  Re: ISO - Pork Shoulder by DFen911 (Ok so it was on sale...)
http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesButt.html

Denise, this is a very informative website that Sharon posted recently. It explains how to roast the pork shoulder, how long and to what temp depending on whether you want to slice it or shred it. I hope this helps.

Edited to add: I bumped up the thread about using a smoker. Has some good info for cooking a pork shoulder.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: ISO - Pork Shoulder by Mare749 ([url=http://www.dizz...)
Oh thank you !!! Only thing is I don't have a smoker. Just my oven.
  Re: Re: ISO - Pork Shoulder by DFen911 (Oh thank you !!! [im...)
Here is my favorite recipe for pork shoulder. But, it's will not meet your wish for a sweet crust...

Pulled Pork Rub

5# raw picnic pork roast
1 Tablespoon vinegar
1 Tablespoon Black Pepper
1 Tablespoon minced garlic (3-4 cloves)
2 Tablespoons fresh oregano (1 teaspoon dried)
1 bay leaf, finely crumbled
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 Tablespoon olive oil

Trim of visible fat from roast. Make shallow slits
on the surface of the pork with the tip of a sharp
knife. Pour about 1 Tablespoon of vinegar in the
palm of your hand and rub it all over the pork.
Use more vinegar if necessary. Make rub with the
remaining ingredients by combining ingredients in
a small bowl to form a paste. A food processor
makes the task easier. Smear the rub all over pork.
Wrap tightly in 2 to 3 layers of heavy duty foil
or plastic wrap. Bake in 200 degree oven for 18
to 24 hours. Remove foil, bones and visible fat.
Pork will fall apart and shred when pulled with a
fork. Serve with buns and your favorite barbecue
sauce.

Source: Colorado Collage
  Re: Re: ISO - Pork Shoulder by HomeCulinarian (Here is my favorite ...)
Denise, I've used this a number of times on ribs, beef and chicken and we loved it. I seem to have lost the "thread" it came from, but I think Sharon posted it on another forum long ago. It's one of my go to rubs.

* Exported from MasterCook *

BBQ rub

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Sides and Sauces

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup sugar
4 tablespoons celery seed
4 tablespoons garlic powder
4 tablespoons onion powder
5 1/4 tablespoons chili powder
5 1/4 tablespoons black pepper
5 1/4 tablespoons paprika

Mix ingredients well.

Coat meat with a thick layer of rub and allow to sit 1 or 2 hours before putting on grill.

Then from Sizzle:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Classic Barbeque Rub

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Sides and Sauces

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 tablespoons smoked paprika
2 tablespoons kosher salt
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 tablespoon cayenne
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon celery salt
1 tablespoon oregano -- crushed

Combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well. For a smoother rub, process the ingredients in a spice grinder until well combined and all pieces uniform (the rub will be very fine and tan in color).

Use it to rub on meat before grilling. Extra rub can be stored in an airtight container for up to six months. Makes about 1 cup.

Source:
"Recipe courtesy from Taming the Flame, by Elizabeth Karmel"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I always use this on beer can chicken with a couple tablespoons in the can with the beer...be sure to pour some out. It foams a LOT! Don't ask...LOL! Anyway, I think this one would be good also. I keep both in jars in the cabinet now. (Reminds me, I used the last of the latter recently and need to replenish.)
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: ISO - Pork Shoulder by Gourmet_Mom (Denise, I've used th...)
I don't know enough about cuts of meat to know if this is interchangeable, but Jean posted this recently:

Slow Roasted Belly of Pork with Hoisin Sauce

2 kg (4 lbs.) Belly pork
50 g (1 2/3 oz.) Salt
50 g (1 2/3 oz.)Sugar
1/2 Jar Hoisin sauce

Pierce the skin of the pork with a sharp knife and rub salt into the skin.

Turn the belly pork over and rub the underside with Hoisin sauce and sugar.

Cover the meat with a clean cloth and place in a refrigerator overnight to marinate.

Heat your oven to approx 200C (400 F.) and cook pork for 15 minutes.

Reduce heat to 180C (350 F.**) (170C in a fan assisted oven) and cook for a further 2 hours.

Allow to stand before chopping pork up into pieces.

Serve with soy noodles or Jasmine rice.

Description:
"Especially created for the Hilton Hotel Restaurants."

NOTES : Pork belly is one of the nicest cuts of meat if cooked correctly, the fat melts away and you are left with delicious roast pork and plenty of crackling.
Choose a joint that has a better proportion of meat to fat.

**Next time I think I’ll do 325 F.

I have been wanting to try it with a pork roast because the pictures she included made me drool. Maybe she will comment and tell us if we can use bone in roast.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: ISO - Pork Shoulder by chef_Tab (I don't know enough ...)
Here is the link for that Braised Pork Belly I mentioned

http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbt...=true#Post64941
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: ISO - Pork Shoulder by chef_Tab (Here is the link for...)
Oh, I forgot about the Hoisin recipe. We LOVED this one...such great flavors!
Daphne
  Re: Re: ISO - Pork Shoulder by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, I forgot about t...)
Ok here is what I choose and thank goodness I had all the ingredients. It's one that Labs posted Only took me several hours to find. It's in the fridge marinating now

You will need plenty of fresh garlic andSeville (sour) oranges for this dish. This is a delicious way to prepare Cayman's local fresh pork, which is sold in the meatcounters of our local supermarkets. If you don't have time to make your own marinade and want a speedy but similar taste, substitute an equal quantity of ready-made Kirby Spanish Barbecue Sauce orBadia Mojo marinade. I suggest adding a little fresh orange juice to these mixes, as they tend to be overly acidic. Both are availableat local supermarkets. Here is my recipe from Tortuga Rum Feverand Caribbean Party Cookbook.

Cuban RoastPork

Nothing is more delicious than boldly seasoned lechon asado, or roast suckling pig, the highlight of the traditional Cuban Nochebuena (Christmas Eve) celebration, Three Kings Day (Feast of the Epiphany) and many other Caribbean fetes. But if roasting a whole 20-pound pig isn't convenient, try this scaled down recipe for a delicious island-style pork feast.

1 8-pound bone-in fresh ham (shank portion) or boneless pork loinroast
12 large cloves garlic, peeled and mashed
1 tablespoon salt (coarse Kosher salt is best)
1 bay leaf, ground
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 sprigs fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 cup Tortuga Dark Rum (** Optional. You can substitute moreorange juice if you prefer)
1-1/2 cups sour orange juice, or 1-1/4 cups orange juice and 1/4cup Cayman lime juice
2 medium yellow onions, sliced into thin rings
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic salt

Trim off excess fat from pork and make shallow cuts all over meat. Combine garlic, salt, bay leaf, oregano, thyme,cumin and pepper in food processor and grind into paste. Place the pork on a plate to catch any seasoning drips. Rub seasoning mix into the pork, making sure it goes into the cuts in the surface. Put the roast in a large bowl or jumbo resealable zip-top bag.Combine onions, olive oil, and rum and bitter orange juice and blend well and pour over roast, turning so roast is covered with marinade. Cover bowl with plastic wrap or seal bag tightly and refrigerate 24 hours, turning roast occasionally so marinate thoroughly saturates all surfaces.

Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Remove roastfrom marinade (save marinade) and place fat side up in roastingpan lightly oiled with olive oil. Sprinkle with remaining pepperand salt. From here, the cooking methods vary according to cook.There are two suggestions from Cuban friends about how to cook lechon asado in the oven.

The first one: roast pork for an hour at350F, turning the meat during cooking so all sides are browned.After an hour, remove roast from oven, pour reserved marinadeand onions over roast and tent with aluminum foil. Return to oven and reduce heat to 300. Roast for 2-1/2 hours longer, basting often with pan juices and marinade, or until roast is well done.

The other method is to heat the oven to very low heat, 225 and cook the roast slowly, about 7- 8-hours-basting frequently withmarinade. Our Latin neighbors like their pork very well done,falling apart tender. Either way, the internal temperature should read at 180 degrees on a meat thermometer.

Let stand 20 minutes, covered, before serving. This might serve 6-8 people.

Serve with fried sweet plantains, whiteor yellow rice and black beans. You'll also want to have a bottleof Tortuga Hell-Fire Hot Pepper Sauce or other favorite Scotchbonnet sauce handy, since this traditional recipe does not use hot pepper.
  Re: Re: ISO - Pork Shoulder by DFen911 (Ok here is what I ch...)
Shoot! I forgot this one also...LOL! I made this just last Sunday and William fell in love with it! He's wanting me to do this one again soon! Talk about fall apart fork tender! And I was using a loin! I can't imagine how wonderful it's going to be with your shoulder....YUM!
Daphne