Smokers
  Re: (...)
And I'm not talking the cigarette type. (been there, done that, quit 8 years ago and have the 40 lbs to prove it )

Can anyone recommend a food smoker? I'm leaning towards having Santa dropping one off for Christmas, and I'd like opinions from anyone who has one. Not anything too large, maybe one or two racks. What have you smoked in it?? I keep seeing the food shows about BBQ and smokers. I can make decent ribs ala C@H with my oven, but seeing the "smoke ring" on smoked ribs looks intriguing. Are they really that much better smoked?

TIA,

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Smokers by BarbaraS (And I'm not talking ...)
Barbara the difference that smoke ring makes is incredible!

You are going to get as many different opinions as there are people who smoke. A few of us here have cabinet type smokers - you might check WalMart on line to see if they still have the "Great Outdoors Smokey Mountain" It's a great smoker, propane fired. There are also the round ones, Brinkmann makes one - usually they are electric or charcoal. Propane is easier.

There is a thread on here Fire up the Smokers that has a lot of great info. You can also check out Smokingmeatforums.com they have some really great info on smokers.

Oh, and if I haven't said it before - Welcome!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Smokers by Harborwitch (Barbara the differen...)
Welcome Barbara! Sorry I can't give you advice, I am like you, just wanting one! My husband grew up in Easton,PA and our older daughter graduated from Drexel. Wish we could move back east!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Smokers by chef_Tab (Welcome Barbara! Sor...)
Welcome Barbara! As Harborwitch said, the Smokey Mountain is a great smoker. Which ever one you choose I'm sure you will find you love it.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
We have the Brinkmann electric smoker. Very convenient since you don't have to worry about running out of propane. You just put your wood in the bottom, the pan of water goes next, then there are two racks to hold your food. You can add wood from the door near the bottom.

Works well and the food is fantastic. However, when I buy another one (and I will!) it will be the chest type that Sharon mentions. We have had a lot of fun with ours. So far, we like pork in it the best, either ribs or shoulder, and chicken is tasty as well. Haven't done a turkey in it yet, but am planning to very shortly. Will definately brine and/or inject it so that it doesn't dry out.

Welcome to the forum, Barbara!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Smokers by Mare749 (We have the Brinkman...)
We have a HUGE brisket to put in tomorrow - got to trim it, inject it, rub it, and let it have a good long sleep in the garage refer before it goes on at the crack of dawn tomorrow!

I've also got a huge hunk of piggy for sausages - to smoke!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Smokers by Mare749 (We have the Brinkman...)
Maryann,

If you can get your hands on the Empire line of chicken and turkey, you won't need to brine.

Empire is a kosher line of food and they prepare their chickens and turkeys differently than Perdue and store brands do. They are absolutely the most moist birds I've ever had! Last year I did a kosher turkey and it came out flawless and the juiciest I've ever had!

I don't know where you live, but if it's in the northeast, you can find them at Wegman's supermarkets. www.empirekosher.com

Thanks for the welcome!! I'm happy to be here!!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
Thersa,

I graduated from Drexel, too!! Waaaaay long ago! The campus has changed a lot!!

Barbara
  Re: Re: Smokers by bjcotton (Welcome Barbara! As...)
Billy,

I'll sic my hubby right on it!! He loves researching products, I don't have much patience. Thanks!

Barbara
  Re: Re: Smokers by BarbaraS (Maryann,[br][br]If y...)
Welcome Barbara! I hope you'll visit often. We love having new friends join us.

Sharon, it's funny you mentioned brisket. For the first time I saw a brisket at the store in town. I grabbed the thing, then noticed it was on sale! I can't wait!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.