Just a Little Rambling...
  Re: (...)
Seems like that has been pretty much what my mind has been doing the last few days/weeks and sometimes there is a benefit to it.

Many of you will know these ideas and this will be old hat to you, but if only one person learns from some ideas I've been thinking on, it's certainly worth it. I may just ramble, but hopefully you'll keep up with me.

- when you are hosting a party: don't put out large bowls of your offerings. Use small bowls and replenish as needed. This will seem like too much additional work, but believe me, it is so worth it. When the party is over there are two reasons for dumping all the food that has been on the buffet table - people are notorious for double/triple dipping and/or the food has been out of the frig and in the danger zone for bacteria (40F --> 140 F.). If you have just replenished the dishes, the balance of your goodies are in the frig, safe and ready to be used again.

- leftovers from parties are so fun to play with. If you have a dip with lots of flavor, you can heat it up and toss with hot pasta for a complete 'nother dinner the next night.

- some leftovers such as Mediterranean tapenades, spreads, dips are wonderful used as a base on pizza. Top with some leftover salad (pick out the tomatoes, onions, olives, whatever you have in a mixed salad and use to top the pizza. After its cooked, top with some of the lettuce from the salad.

I just did a party yesterday and this is what I was able to bring home and what we have done/will do with them.
our menu

~Sandwiches~
Tuna-Apple & Cream Cheese (will have l/os with Spinach salad Sunday night for dinner)

Salmon, Capers & Cream Cheese (was all gone)
~Make Your Own~
Roast Beef, Herbed Turkey, Genoa Salami
Rolls (with condiments) - had salami and roast beef left - the salami was split up between toppings for l/o pita chips mixed with the peppers, marinated feta & kalamata and baked just till warm last nite-an appy for dinner. The rest of the salami, red onions (from condiments), tomatoes from the Corn salad went on a pizza this a.m. (with champagne of course)

Cream Cheese & Crackers
With
Jalapeno Jelly ~ Four Ways (our helper liked these so much we sent the rest home with her with instructions on mixing some of it with hot pasta for a creamy, spicy dish)

Greek Peppers, Marinated Feta & Olives (used some of it over hot pasta last nite.)
Pita Chips & Sour Dough Toast

Mini Zucchini Quiche - grazed on a few leftover while putting away equipment.
Smokey Tomato Sauce - used as the base for this a.m.'s pizza.

~Salads~
Spinach, Pears, Bleu cheese with Pear & Port reduction - enough components to bring home for dinner tonight.
Fire-Roasted Corn Salad - all gone, but a few grape tomatoes left in a baggie
Fruit Platter topped with Pear/port reduction and shredded parmesan

Faux Champagne - they drank one batch and we have supplies for 2 more batches for a neighborhood party or something.

-------

So, all of this is just to remind party hosts that all is not garbage after a wonderful party. Leftovers rule and they can be so good.

Plus, if you do have leftovers and you don't come up with ideas for using them, just let all of us here know what you have and you now you'll have more ideas than you'll have food.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Just a Little Rambling... by cjs (Seems like that has ...)
Thanks for sharing some really good ideas with us, Jean. I would imagine that you are always thinking of new ways to be creative with l/os, and also new ways to be more efficient.

That just reminded me that we haven't had a "mystery meal" in a very long time. I think we should do that again once the weather turns cold and we're all staying in more.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Just a Little Rambling... by Mare749 (Thanks for sharing s...)
Doncha just love it when Jean rambles. I wish my ramblings turned out like that...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Just a Little Rambling... by Gourmet_Mom (Doncha just love it ...)
Thank you Oh wise one (Jean)! Your ramblings are noted and shall be acted upon as warranted.
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Just a Little Rambling... by farnfam (Thank you Oh wise on...)
P.S. Roy just made a drink for us - I had a little ginger ale and white grape juice left from the Faux Champagne -

* Exported from MasterCook *
2 ounces Vodka
2 ounces Grape Juice
Ginger Ale

In a highball glass, combine all ingredients. Stir well. Add ice.

Source:
"Manitoba Liquor Control Commission"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Best kind of glass for this drink: Highball.
----
Who'd a thunk it!! It's really good.

MYSTERY DINNER!! I'm with you, Maryann - let's do it again when we all hit colder weather.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Just a Little Rambling... by cjs (P.S. Roy just made a...)
Hey, Jean, that cocktail reminds of one William used to make in wilder days. Instead of grape juice, he'd use Manichevits...how the heck do you spell that word?

Oh, and I'm on for a mystery dinner when it gets cool....well, at least, cool in other parts of the country.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Just a Little Rambling... by Gourmet_Mom (Hey, Jean, that cock...)
Ya know Jean, after shucking all that corn I didn't even get a taste....Sad

I had cantaloupe and raspberries last night with the Pear & Port reduction...Oh my!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Just a Little Rambling... by bjcotton (Ya know Jean, after ...)
Jean your ramblings make everything seem so easy Great tip!! I wish I had done that at my parents anniversary party. So yes you have taught at least one (I'm guessing several more) a new trick
  Re: Re: Just a Little Rambling... by DFen911 (Jean your ramblings ...)
Good points as normal Jean...the cocktail sounds pretty good.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Just a Little Rambling... by cjs (Seems like that has ...)
"If you have just replenished the dishes, the balance of your goodies are in the frig, safe and ready to be used again. "

Great advice, Jean. At Saturday's gig for 130, we were to put out platters while they were having cocktails. Sopressata, mortadella, marinated grilled veg, marinated artichole hearts, mushrroms, etc. I was ready to plate everything we had brought until he reined me in. One person was out front keeping an eye on the platters, and would give us a heads up before a new one needed to go out. So, we had lots of time to make new ones. At the end of the night, there wasn't tons of food to be thrown out, and all the food in the fridges came back with us. Sure helps keep his food costs down. The leftove pasta and sauce from the night before's kids meal became staff supper.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.