Monday Dinner??
  Re: (...)
I've missed hearing what all is going on - what are you all up to today?

I saw that 'meatloaf book' thread that an 'anon' friend was looking at and it jarred my memory - tonight will be a meatloaf and baked potatoes. finally!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Monday Dinner?? by cjs (I've missed hearing ...)
We're having grilled chicken quarters with Mister's BBQ sauce - supposed to have them yesterday but the rain would not stop-, butterbeans from the garden, white rice and fruit cobbler - meatloaf sounds good as well - sometime during the week -
  Re: Re: Monday Dinner?? by (We're having grilled...)
My friend who gets the mushrooms for me just gave me four more pounds of them. Here are the things I am considering.

Mushroom, leek and potato soup
Preparation: 15 minutes Cooking: 35 minutes Serves: 4

Ingredients:
  • 2 1/2 tbs olive oil (divided)
  • 11 Ounces "Cup" mushrooms, diced
  • 2 Small Leeks, trimmed and thinly sliced
  • 1 Lb Desiree potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 3 Cups Chicken stock
  • 2/3 Cup Sour cream
  • Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
  • Hot, buttered toast, to serve
Instructions:
  1. Heat 1 tbs oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until soft. Remove to a plate.
  2. Add remaining oil and leeks to the saucepan and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until tender. Add potatoes and stir to combine. Stir in stock, increase heat to high and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Remove from heat.
  3. Blend or process mixture until smooth. Return soup to the saucepan, stir in mushrooms and sour cream and cook, stirring occasionally, over low heat for 5 minutes or until heated through. Season with salt and pepper and serve with toast.
This calls for "Desiree potatoes," of which I had never heard. It turns out they are red-skinned potatoes with a yellow flesh. I'll just have to use what I have available, here, but you may be able to find something similar, there. Here are a couple of links to help: GardenAction and Wikipedia.

----------

Mushroom & bacon skewers
Preparation: 15 minutes (+ 30 minutes marinating) Cooking time: 10 minutes Makes: 8

Ingredients:
  • 14 Oz button mushrooms, trimmed
  • 2/3 cup reduced salt soy sauce
  • 2 tbs sweet chilli sauce
  • 2 tbs brown sugar
  • 2 tbs olive oil
  • 8-12 slices bacon, rind removed, trimmed
  • thick plain yogurt, to serve
Instructions:
  1. Place mushrooms into a shallow dish so they sit in a single layer.
  2. Combine soy sauce, sweet chilli, sugar and oil in a screw-top jar. Shake well to combine. Pour over the mushrooms. Toss to coat. Cover and set aside for 30 minutes, tossing occasionally.
  3. Thread mushrooms and bacon in a concertina fashion onto bamboo skewers.
  4. Preheat a barbecue plate or frying pan on medium-high heat. Add mushroom skewers and cook, turning often for 10 minutes or until bacon is cooked and mushrooms golden. Serve with yogurt.
----------
Not sure what else, yet, but those are my first choices. Of course, once again, the recipes are from my favourite mushroom website.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Monday Dinner?? by labradors (My friend who gets t...)
Labs - the soup recipe sounds really good! I'll have to copy and try it.

I was so busy over the weekend I didn't even get my shopping done. Have some chicken breast meat defrosting and I'm planning on grillin'. We are enjoying warm weather here - in the 80s - and have some squash and peppers from the garden to grill with the chicken... I'll make an easy rice or pasta side.
  Re: Re: Monday Dinner?? by HomeCulinarian (Labs - the soup reci...)
I'm going to make the coconut chicken bites w/cilantro sauce from the Celebrate the Rain cookbook. They are technically appetizers - we'll just eat a lot of them. Some type of rice and maybe some sauteed spinach as sides.
  Re: Re: Monday Dinner?? by Trixxee (I'm going to make th...)
I bought a whole prok loin (cryovacked) for under $20.00. I'll have him cut it up, freeze some, and cook some for supper. Not sure what I'll do yet. I should probably check the casserole book. I don't have much to put in it though, only have one onion, some potatoes, and two heads of broccoli. I don't even have garlic!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Monday Dinner?? by cjs (I've missed hearing ...)
Grilled chicken, what will probably be the last of the corn, stuffing and fresh rolls. And for me, stewed beans (I'm the only one who likes them) but now I've got to start some baked beans for Picky.

At least I'm cooking again.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Monday Dinner?? by pjcooks (Grilled chicken, wha...)
Jean, you mentioned meatloaf and baked potatoes and I couldn't get it off my mind so I am making those meatloaf muffins again with baked potato and brocoli. Just put it all in the oven and sat down with a beer. I cannot wait to eat!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Monday Dinner?? by chef_Tab (Jean, you mentioned ...)
This is Jane's birthday--she wanted a filet and neither of us cooking--I'm taking her out!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Monday Dinner?? by Old Bay (This is Jane's birth...)
Jennifer just announced that our Granddaughter & her "sweetie" are coming for dinner, oh and so is one of Jennifer's admirers who just happens to be the manager of Straits (restaurant) in San Francisco. She's cooking - chicken. I'm going to make that Lavender Blueberry ice cream, and a mushroom and fontina pizza for appies.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!