Another impulse buy of an unusual item
  Re: (...)
At the store, today, I noticed a good sale price on an unusual item, so I went ahead and bought it, but now I'm looking to see if any of you have any specific experience with it and, even better, recipes that specifically call for it.

The item: Cold-pressed Rice Oil.

From what I have read on the Internet, so far, it would probably be great for stir-frying, since its smoke point is 490F. Supposedly, some restaurants are even switching to it in their efforts to eliminate trans fats and increase anti-oxidants, but what I got is just a small bottle that was pretty pricey, so I wouldn't be using it for THAT kind of thing.

So, what do you think? Of course, I'll keep googling, but I'm not finding too much, so far (although this does have some recipes). Do any of you have any ideas?

Thanks!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Another impulse buy of an unusual item by labradors (At the store, today,...)
I may have read it a time or two, only because the name sounds familiar. Good luck!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Another impulse buy of an unusual item by Gourmet_Mom (I may have read it a...)
hmmmm, we discussed this (what didn't we discuss over there) over on c2c a long while back. I'll go over and see if I can find it - all kinds of info. might be in the morning, labs.

O.K., I'm back - I found 4 or 5 threads over there by searching "rice oil" - are you still a member at C2C?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Another impulse buy of an unusual item by labradors (At the store, today,...)
Rice oil--Trockenbeerenauslese--about the same amount of oil from the rice as juice from the grape--no wonder it's expensive!!! I would love to know what you could do with it!! I've never heard of it.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Another impulse buy of an unusual item by cjs (hmmmm, we discussed ...)
Quote:

... are you still a member at C2C?

Yes. Haven't been there in a while, but I'll check it out. Thanks!
  Re: Re: Another impulse buy of an unusual item by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Good luck Labs. After the final change over, my password no longer worked. When I tried to contact admin...dead end. When I tried to re-register, I was still a member and my email wouldn't take....already taken. Tried registering under a yahoo account...got a confirmation and userID and password, but never got activated. I've tried contacting admin, but never get a response. It's sad that I can't get in, but I'm getting over it. I've heard it's not the same anyway. The only bad part about it, I can't do a search for old info that I'd love to get copies of.

Like I said, good luck!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Another impulse buy of an unusual item by Gourmet_Mom (Good luck Labs. Aft...)
Quote:

Like I said, good luck!

Worked fine for me, but I didn't find much that was really useful. Most of the mentions revolved around deep fryers, etc.
I don't stir fry that often but I am sure there are recipes that can go with your purchase. Best of luck finding what you need.