Brandy Question
  Re: (...)
The Coq au Vin calls for 1/2 cup of brandy and 2 cups of dry white wine. I forgot I needed the brandy, so do I go to the store or substitute. I have in the pantry/fridge: dry white wine, red zin, dry and sweet vermouth, marsala, dry and cream sherry, and ruby port. Suggestions?

A deciding factor...I'm also out of fresh garlic.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Brandy Question by Gourmet_Mom (The Coq au Vin calls...)
Well Brandy is distilled wine. So basically what it's doing is adding another level to the wine flavor. I'm not if you could replace it. Might be best to go without it. The dish will still taste good.
  Re: Re: Brandy Question by DFen911 (Well Brandy is disti...)
Thanks Denise. I'm beginning to think I may just need to go to the store. UGGG! I just got in and relaxed! One good thing about this little place, it's not unusual to see people in rollers, housecoats, and bedroom slippers at the store. So at least I won't have to change clothes. I can go in my old shorts, t-shirt, and flip flops...LOL!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Brandy Question by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks Denise. I'm ...)
I think I would go get the brandy--I'm sorry, that's not what you wanted to hear--it will be worth it!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Brandy Question by Old Bay (I think I would go g...)
Lucky me! William just called and he hasn't even left Southport. He was already planning on going by the liquor store! Now I have only to settle in my mind if I can live without the fresh garlic.

Thanks for the info you two. I guess brandy will now be living in my pantry as well. With cooler weather coming on...eventually...I'll have to get a bigger bottle. I just remembered a really nice hot toddy we used to make using brandy and frangelica....YUM!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Brandy Question by Gourmet_Mom (Lucky me! William j...)
glad you're holding out for the brandy!

We're having another round of those drinks Roy found the other day to use up the grape juice, ginger ale and vodka. gee they are good!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Brandy Question by cjs (glad you're holding ...)
Well, I won't know the difference this time, but it sure did smell good after I added it and now it's smelling REALLY good!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Brandy Question by Gourmet_Mom (Well, I won't know t...)
Brandy??? I've heard she's a fine girl...

Come on Labs or Billy you know you want to jump in here with me on this one!!!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Brandy Question by firechef (Brandy??? I've hear...)
OH great LJ, now that'll be washing around in my tiny brain all day ........."what a good wife you would be", la la la......
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Brandy Question by firechef (Brandy??? I've hear...)
That's my assistant's name - only spelled with an 'i'. She got married weekend before last and they played the Brandy song by the Looking Glass from 1972... I decided her parents must have really liked that song ...

There's a port, on a western bay
And it serves a hundred ships a day
Lonely sailors, pass the time away
And talk about their homes

And there's a girl in this harbor town
And she works layin' whiskey down
They say "Brandy, fetch another round"
She serves them whiskey and wine

(for all the lyrics - go to http://www.oracleband.net/Lyrics/brandy.htm)