Duck ideas???
  Re: (...)
I am down to my last two duck breasts (bone in and skin on) and since it is just me I figured I'd have them tonight. Problem is grilling and smoking are out of the question today thanks to heavy rain and a very cold north western wind that would cause me to expend WAY too much energy in wood and char chunks.

Any "one of a kind" or "unique" flavours anyone has tried or thought of trying or wished they dared to try they'd like to share? Doing baby carrots with a tarragon honey butter and an au gratin potato dish with shallots, green beans and Boursin and Fontina cheeses...

Any ideas will be played with and considered...I've got two breasts so I could always try a couple of different recipes!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Duck ideas??? by firechef (I am down to my last...)
Quote:

Duck ideas???

Yeah! Seal them, package them in dry ice, and send them down here! LOL!

Quote:

Any "one of a kind" or "unique" flavours anyone has tried or thought of trying or wished they dared to try they'd like to share?

This probably isn't really unique, but a great dish that I had at a restaurant a long time ago was "Roast Duckling with an Apple-Jelly, Applejack Brandy Glaze in a Calvados Sauce." Of course, I don't have the recipe, but maybe that will start to give you some ideas.

Enjoy!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Duck ideas??? by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I may have to just "Google" that item name...as for shipping them...no way no how! It was suggested I bring them to work and share with the Chef but I said no to him and he's a friend and my boss!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Duck ideas??? by firechef (I may have to just "...)
Maybe I'll downsize this one and sub a duck breast???

Chicken With Apple-Brandy Cream Sauce

Ingredients:
6 Servings
-------------------
3 Tbl butter
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
Salt, to taste
Freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
All-purpose flour
3 Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored,
and, Sliced
1/2 cup applejack (or Calvados)
1/4 cup brandy
1 cup whipping cream

Method of Preparation:
Melt butter in large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Coat with flour, shaking off excess. Add chicken to skillet and cook until brown on both sides and cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to platter. Transfer all but 1 tablespoon butter from skillet. Add apples and both brandies; simmer over medium heat until apples are tender and liquid is slightly syrupy, about 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer apples to platter with chicken. Add cream to skillet; boil until thickened to sauce consistency, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Return chicken and apples to skillet and heat through, about 2 minutes. Arrange chicken on plates. Spoon apples and sauce over chicken and serve. This recipe yields 6 servings.

Maybe over a rice with candied walnuts and cranberries???
  Re: Re: Duck ideas??? by firechef (I may have to just "...)
The restaurant that had the dish that I mentioned was Vickers Tavern in Exton, PA, but that was about 20 years ago. I just googled for the restaurant and found, unfortunately, that they just closed in February of this year. Even so, I had checked their website about two years ago, and that dish was no longer on the menu, anyway. :-(

Update: Wait a minute! Now I'm not sure if I had that duck ad Vickers Tavern or Duling-Kurtz House, so I just checked the website of the latter. Still didn't find what I mentioned, but this sounded interesting:
Quote:

Crispy Duck Breast
with autumn vegetables, spatzle, and brandy- cherry sauce

The other one would be more to my taste, but this still sounds good.

Oops! Further edit: Just saw the recipe you posted, and that sounds like a winner to me!

As the guy in the one AFLAC commercial says (prompting a startled reaction from the company's mascot), "Great! I love duck!"
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Duck ideas??? by labradors (The restaurant that ...)
So, LJ, what did you do with the duck?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Duck ideas??? by cjs (So, LJ, what did you...)
I ended up going with a version of the recipe I posted and pulled the meat off of the bone and plated it across a dark mix of long grain rices with candied walnuts and cranberries. I used the juices from the pan and made a nice sauce with good flavour that I drizzled over the top and had a few asparagus spears with it that I did like I do at work lightly sauteed with a touch of garlic in oil and then deglaced with white wine.

Not bad for a night at home alone on a day off that also saw me pulling out carpet to reveal a lovely unfinished hard wood floor that just needs a little bit of work to match my dining room...
  Re: Re: Duck ideas??? by firechef (I ended up going wit...)
Gah I forgot to order my duck today. Derek and I went to Oak Glen...this is a place filled with apple orchards. I brought home bags of Spartans, Braeburn (sp) and Granny Smiths. So we all know what to do with apples..but then I found a Cherry BBQ sauce. And I thought...oh grilled duck with this.

LJ to you get whole ducks? I was thinking of just ordering a few duck breasts.
  Re: Re: Duck ideas??? by DFen911 (Gah I forgot to orde...)
I normally get whole but had a pair bone in breasts in the freezer for this time around...

Cherry BBQ sounds GREAT with duck!
  Re: Re: Duck ideas??? by firechef (I normally get whole...)
I made this a while back and the flavors were just wonderful -

Duck & Cherry Relish Crostini

Slices of an Artisan bread (or 18 hour bread is wonderful), lightly toasted
Rub with the cut side of a clove of garlic.
Spread with cream cheese.
Add a dollop of dried Cherry Relish (see recipe)
Top with warm shredded duck.

Description:
"wonderful flavors"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Dried Cherry Relish

1 1/2 cups dried tart cherries
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1 large red onion -- finely chopped
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt -- or to taste
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

In a medium bowl, combine cherries, red wine vinegar and balsamic vinegar. Let soak 30 minutes.

Heat butter in a large skillet. Add onion; cook 5 minutes, or until onion is soft. Add sugar; mix well. Cook, stirring occasionally, over low heat 10 minutes.

Add cherries with soaking liquid to onion mixture. Simmer, uncovered, 10 to 15 minutes, or until almost all the liquid is evaporated. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm.

Makes about 2 cups. 12 servings as a relish.

Serving size: 3 tablespoons

Description:
"first had this with Don Kaiser as an appy with shredded duck - see new recipe for the apppy."
Source:
"Cherry Marketing Institute"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Serving Ideas : Serve warm with pork, duck or goose.

NOTES : Relish may be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated; reheat before serving.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com