Dinner out...
  Re: (...)
We decided to go for Holly's birthday dinner tonight with her Grandmother, my Mother and the baby. We went to the restaurant I work at and everyone knew we were coming and the place was nice and busy. We got our drinks and ordered our appetizers and my Chef came out for a quick introduction like I asked him to do. My Mom loved our Spinach and Bacon Dip with grilled flat bread and the tempura battered basil stuffed bacon wrapped shrimp. Holly was impressed as well. The soups and salads came followed by our entrees. Good all the way around...then out hobbled my Chef! He slipped and severely twisted an ankle that he had broken in the past...so as we ordered dessert I excuse myself from the table and head for the kitchen. I ended up in the office going over the next couple of nights since I may end up running the show and being down a person as well. Then I was expediting the dessert station as over 20 desserts came in on three tickets along with two tickets with 4 entrees. I returned to our table with our desserts thinking my "work" was done only to see Chef come back out into the dinning room as we prepared to leave to go over a few final notes for my very long weekend.

Everyone enjoyed their meals and the restaurant and Holly's Grandmother was thrilled with meeting the Chef and kind of awestruck that I am a Chef there as well after seeing it all. Got to really establish myself in the eyes of the in-laws, got to show my Mom the kind of meal she is used to and got Holly to eat at my work. I joked that it was the best meal I have ever cooked without having to cook as I have cooked everything we ate but didn't have to cook it tonight!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Dinner out... by firechef (We decided to go for...)
WOW! What a night out on the town! You didn't tell the entrees...

But the appy sounds great!

OH, and Happy Birthday Holly!!!!
  Re: Re: Dinner out... by Gourmet_Mom (WOW! What a night o...)
My Mom and I had the Pork Tenderloin Medallions with the Apple Cider Reduction and mashed potatoes and carrots. Holly had the Parmesan crusted chicken with Garlic White Wine Lemon Sauce. Grandma had the Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf with Apricot Bacon Reduction.

Holly's birthday isn't until Monday but I work the next 12 days.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Dinner out... by firechef (My Mom and I had the...)
Your icon had me fooled... I was anticipating reading about a flop of an evening. Sounds like everything went really well, except that you got called in to work for a bit of the evening.

Anyway, Happy Birthday wishes to Holly!
  Re: Re: Dinner out... by HomeCulinarian (Your icon had me foo...)
...and a good dinner was had by all, except the chef.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Dinner out... by firechef (We decided to go for...)
Happy Birthday Holly!!!

Wow! Sounds like a good evening - even if you did have to work!

I must say "tempura battered basil stuffed bacon wrapped shrimp" really caught my eye! Wow - battered, fried, AND bacon wrapped! My arteries are spasming in delight as I type.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Dinner out... by Harborwitch (Happy Birthday Holly...)
Fool came in tonight in a walking cast. He never stepped foot on MY line but was there to help with a few sauces he knew I'd need and be too busy to get to.

I have him convinced to stay home Saturday night. I think he is coming in to help with the order on Sunday and to back me up on a plated banquet for the World Food Prize winners and some very distinguished international agriculture types including the 2008 Nobel Prize Winners in Food and Agriculture (former Senators Robert Dole and George McGovern) no pressure on this one!
  Re: Re: Dinner out... by firechef (Fool came in tonight...)
Quote:

I have him convinced to stay home Saturday night. I think he is coming in to help with the order on Sunday and to back me up on a plated banquet for the World Food Prize winners and some very distinguished international agriculture types including the 2008 Nobel Prize Winners in Food and Agriculture (former Senators Robert Dole and George McGovern) no pressure on this one!

Wow, what an honor, LJ! That's an impressive guest list. Best of luck to you, although we all know you don't need it!!

PJ

Have a great time!
PJ