Our Poor Tazzie
  Re: (...)
I got home from VA Wednesday night , to be met at the door with "Tazzie's hurt". She had hurt her back lag. We took her to the vets Thursday morning, wityh horrible xray results. She has blown out all the ligaments in her back leg. The vet kept her overnight, we picked her up this morning to take her to another hospital that dows only specialty surgery. The low quote for the surgery had me gasping, the high quote had me holding my chest. The quotes are outrageous. I've been back on forth on the phone to my SIL (she's working in Copenhagen for a few weeks), since it's her cat. I knew, that even combined, we just couldn't afford it. We made the decision this afternoon to have Tazzie put to sleep, but when I phoned my vet, he wouldn't do it. He wants us to "sleep on it". He gave us another quote, even though they rarely do that kind of surgery, that is still way out of our price range. We're talking thousands of dollars. We love her dearly, but sometimes, you just can't do what you want to do. So, poor kitty is on a morphine patch, I managed to get one horsepill down her gullet until the patch kicks in. I opened a can of her favourite soft turkey food, and she's on her favourite blankie. Tomorrow, regardless of what the vet says, I'll have to do what I have to do.

She's always been an incredible cat. Very, very active. Even today, before the drugs set in, she was trying to twirl around my legs and giving me butheads. I think it's going to be a long night.

Strange, our other older cat knows there is something going on. She is all over us, but won't even go into the same room as Tazzie. To all of you with animals, give them a good pat and hug tonight.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Our Poor Tazzie by Lorraine (I got home from VA W...)
Oh Lorraine - I'm so very sorry. I know what a hard decision it is. Loving thoughts and prayers! Sometimes the right thing to do is the hardest.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Our Poor Tazzie by Harborwitch (Oh Lorraine - I'm so...)
Oh Lorraine, how hard this will be. Not to make light of this, but can I just pat Roy on the head? no pets anymore.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Our Poor Tazzie by cjs (Oh Lorraine, how har...)
I'm so sad for you...
  Re: Re: Our Poor Tazzie by HomeCulinarian (I'm so sad for you.....)
OH so sorry Lorraine. How sad for you.
Hugs
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Our Poor Tazzie by farnfam (OH so sorry Lorraine...)
I'm sorry Lorraine. I hope Tazzie is resting comfortably.
  Re: Re: Our Poor Tazzie by Trixxee (I'm sorry Lorraine. ...)
Oh, Lorraine, my heart goes out to you! I had a similar struggle with my little Gizmo just over a year ago. I knew it was the right thing to do, just as you do. But, that doesn't make it any easier. I'm so sorry you have to go through this.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Our Poor Tazzie by cjs (Oh Lorraine, how har...)
" but can I just pat Roy on the head? "

Well, that put a smile on my face. She hobbled to the patio doors to go out, but that's not going to happen. She's lying in the sunshine. I will take her out in my arms tonight to the backyard to smell the fresh air and be where she loved one more time.

And when we get stressed what do we do? We cook, I have a new batch of honey cornmeal muffins in the oven. I think they may end up being a bit salty. I'll let you know. Thanks to all.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Our Poor Tazzie by Lorraine (" but can I just pat...)
Oh, Lorraine. I've been there, too. I still tear up when I ride by Tarbaby's burial spot at the farm. She was such a great dog, but she was so miserable, putting her to sleep was the only merciful thing to do. My heart goes out to you. Rest well, tomorrow will be a rough day.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Our Poor Tazzie by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, Lorraine. I've ...)
I'm so sorry for you and your poor kitty.
Tammy