Sfincuiuni - Can Make It/Can't Pronounce It!!
  Re: (...)
This just came out of the oven - bless Roberto's heart for giving us this recipe. It smells so wonderful in here!!!

with all the toppings - waiting for the top crust
[Image: coldpizza1.jpg]

ready for the oven - didn't call for it, but I sprinkled the top with a little basil and black pepper
[Image: coldpizza2.jpg]

and this is the stage it's at now...but I'm going to go cut into it!
[Image: coldpizza3.jpg]

O.K., cut into it - the bread is wonderful and the filling is to die for, but it's just too much bread. This is not to say its TOO much bread and that we won't eat it, but...
[Image: coldpizza4.jpg]

I'm thinking I can slide some kind of deli meat into the middle and made more of a sandwich instead of having it as is. The flavors tho, oh my, they are good.

Cis, Maryann, someone, how the heck do we pronounce this?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Sfincuiuni - Can Make It/Can't Pronounce It!! by cjs (This just came out o...)
ooo... that looks yummy.
  Re: Re: Sfincuiuni - Can Make It/Can't Pronounce It!! by HomeCulinarian (ooo... that looks yu...)
"Cis, Maryann, someone, how the heck do we pronounce this?"

I don't have a clue, but that sure looks yummy! My mom never made anything like that. Although she was full-blooded Italian, her mom died when she was young and her dad remarried. Her step-mom was French and an excellent cook. So, it's kind of interesting that my mom's cooking leaned toward Italian, but sometimes with a bit of a French flair. Yes, we ate well...very well!

I sure do miss Ricardo. He had some excellent recipes and also gave great advice on food preservation. Does anyone ever hear from him?

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Sfincuiuni - Can Make It/Can't Pronounce It!! by Mare749 ("Cis, Maryann, someo...)
...."Cis, Maryann, someone, how the heck do we pronounce this?".....

Sorry, Jean, it doesn't ring any bells with me as far as how to say it. But man does it ever look delish!!!! Gavone or not, I've got to try it.
Possible solution for the "breadiness". Just use one crust and wrap it all the way around, sorta like a calzone.
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Sfincuiuni - Can Make It/Can't Pronounce It!! by Mare749 ("Cis, Maryann, someo...)
This sure does look good, but I agree with the amount of bread.

Jean, would you add more filling or decrease the amount of dough? I'm guessing more filling.

Maryann, I didn't realize you were an old C2C'er.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Sfincuiuni - Can Make It/Can't Pronounce It!! by cjs (This just came out o...)
Quote:

Cis, Maryann, someone, how the heck do we pronounce this?

Italian is pronounced phonetically, so it's just the way it looks. After researching it a bit, however, I discovered that the correct spelling is Sfincione in Italian, and Sfinciuni in Sicilian. Without that extra U, the pronunciation should be easier to discern.

The other thing I found was that Sfinciuni is...

...Sicilian pizza.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Sfincuiuni - Can Make It/Can't Pronounce It!! by Gourmet_Mom (This sure does look ...)
"Maryann, I didn't realize you were an old C2C'er."

Yep, that would be me, Daphne. Several of us left around the same time. I rarely go over there anymore.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Sfincuiuni - Can Make It/Can't Pronounce It!! by Mare749 ("Maryann, I didn't r...)

"The other thing I found was that Sfinciuni is...
...Sicilian pizza." - that was part of the name in the recipe "cold pizza"

Well, in the middle of the night I had this idea to use this filling in Bierox!! Bierox is an old recipe I used to make a lot when the kids were home - the filling is cabbage,onion, ground beef, seasonings and wrapped inside a round of dough. Then (in those days...) dipped in bacon grease and baked. So good!

Anyway, I love the filling - maybe mix together all the filling except the hard cooked egg, lay the egg slice on the dough and top with the rest of the filling and close it all up. I'm drooling thinking about this.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com