Ok another odd question - Lasagna
  Re: (...)
Ok this is an odd question. I have never done this technique so wondering if anyone has.

I plan on making a big tray of lasagna for Friday's pot luck. Normally I par boil the pasta, do my layers and bake. Well I'm not going to bake this till the next morning. I had planned on assembling and baking in the morning.

Question - Do I par boil the pasta or leave it hard? I have heard of folks not cooking it as it will absorb enough moisture thru the sauce and bechemel.

Opinions?
  Re: Ok another odd question - Lasagna by DFen911 (Ok this is an odd qu...)
Denise, I have used the no boil technique in the past. Whoever thought of it called it overnight lasagna. I think it might have been a recipe on the back of a jar of spaghetti sauce some years back. Anyway, the instructions were to drizzle 1 cup of water over your finished lasagna, cover with foil and refrigerate overnight before baking. The uncooked lasagna noodles absorb the water. This recipe was for a lasagna made with ricotta rather than a bechamel sauce. Since I always use fresh ricotta in my lasagna, I don't know if it would turn out okay using bechemel, and probably wouldn't use the no boil method without a trial run.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Ok another odd question - Lasagna by Mare749 (Denise, I have used ...)
Denise - I've made pans of lasagna the night before baking and parboiled the pasta - it was fine. I sealed the pan and refrigerated it. Allow extra baking if you put it in the oven cold.
  Re: Re: Ok another odd question - Lasagna by HomeCulinarian (Denise - I've made p...)
Quote:

Allow extra baking if you put it in the oven cold...

...and take it out early enough that the baking dish isn't so cold that it cracks when you put it into the hot oven.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Ok another odd question - Lasagna by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Quote:

[blockquote]Quote:

Allow extra baking if you put it in the oven cold...

...and take it out early enough that the baking dish isn't so cold that it cracks when you put it into the hot oven.

[/blockquote]

Or get a foil pan and make it in that, so you won't have to deal with a dirty dish at a pot luck...just toss it.

OOPS! I didn't respond to the original question. I have always parboiled and stored in the fridge. Then there's those no boil sheets you can get now. I just recently used them in the Bolognese Rigatoni I made recently and it worked like a charm. However, I have never held it over when using freshly made lasagna sheets.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Ok another odd question - Lasagna by Gourmet_Mom ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Lol so I'm still confused. I plan on baking it in the next morning.

Maryann did you put water on the pasta and then the sauce?

I not using grated cheese except for the topping. It will be a layer of noodles, meat sauce, bechamel, sauce, noodles repeat.

And Daphne I checked my store and they don't carry the no boil ones, just regular Barilla and their store brand.
  Re: Re: Ok another odd question - Lasagna by DFen911 (Lol so I'm still con...)
Amazingly, my store in town just started carrying them. Oh well! I think I'm just as confused as you now...LOL!

Just to REALLY mess with your brain...I'd probably bake it the day before without the final cheese layer just short of done, then finish it off with the cheese until warmed through and cheese is melted. But then, I'm not an expert on this kinda thing.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Ok another odd question - Lasagna by Gourmet_Mom (Amazingly, my store ...)
I haven't done it overnite in the refrig except with the no boil kind of pasta. If you can't get the no boil kind then I'd par boil and assemble and leave in frig overnite. Be sure to remember what Rob and HC said about room temping it first before baking the next day. Anyway that's my two cents worth. I hope it comes out great for you, after all, there's no such thing as bad lasagna, is there??
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Ok another odd question - Lasagna by farnfam (I haven't done it ov...)
I've made it a lot both ways - put together and bake the next day AND bake it the day before and heat for serving. I think I prefer baking the day before, BUT, there is not that big of a difference which way you go - it's kind of like soups, stews they are always just a little better the next day. my opinion
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Ok another odd question - Lasagna by cjs (I've made it a lot b...)
I have to bake the morning off because if I do it the night before there is no way for me to really heat it up in the big dish I'm cooking it in. So was gonna cook it and wrap it tight.