Wine Lees - Has anyone tried them?
  Re: (...)
I was reading "Sauces" by James Peterson and came across "Wine Lees." Here is what it says, "French chefs occasionally refer to using the sediment at the bottom of the oak casks used to age wine as a thickener for red-wine sauces. Reliable recipes are difficult to track down, but for someone living in a vineyard area, it would be a worthwhile experiment to whisk a few tablespoons of these 'lees' into an unbound brown sauce or red-wine sauce base. Lees from pinot noir would be best in keeping with the Burgundian tradition."

I just wondered if anyone had ever tried this? For those of you that don't have this book, it is used as an authority on sauces.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Wine Lees - Has anyone tried them? by bjcotton (I was reading "Sauce...)
Quote:

"French chefs occasionally refer to using the sediment at the bottom of the oak casks used to age wine as a chickener for red-wine sauces.

Wouldn't chicken broth be easier to find???
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Wine Lees - Has anyone tried them? by Harborwitch ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Typographical errors corrected...thanks Sharon. I just hate it when I make a typo or misspelling.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Wine Lees - Has anyone tried them? by bjcotton (Typographical errors...)
Billy make a typo???? Never! Not gonna happen!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Wine Lees - Has anyone tried them? by bjcotton (Typographical errors...)
Quote:

Typographical errors corrected...thanks Sharon. I just hate it when I make a typo or misspelling.

I think that will work--may need straining, should be a good sauce.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Wine Lees - Has anyone tried them? by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Hmmmm, I hadn't seen that in the book - sounds interesting. I'll bet I could get some from Camaraderie....

Just googled some info on this and looks quite involved - the wine lees must be fermented (again?) before using it and looks like majority use rice to do it. Maybe I'll have my little old winemaker (Roy) google it and he can make sense of this.

Well duh, just realized this is what grappa is made from.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Wine Lees - Has anyone tried them? by cjs (Hmmmm, I hadn't seen...)
Makes me wonder what they would do if they had Tequila, instead.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Wine Lees - Has anyone tried them? by labradors (Makes me wonder what...)
Quote:

Makes me wonder what they would do if they had Tequila, instead.

"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura