Marinara Question
  Re: (...)
Jean, you posted a marinara in several threads. I found this one first and used it tonight on my pizzas. It was AWESOME.

When I saved it, I had forgotten to save the thread, so I went back later to find it. That's when I found this one. The only difference I see is the addition of brown sugar in the second one and the cooking time. Does the addition of the brown sugar make a lot of difference? Did you just leave the brown sugar out of the first one? I can't imagine it being any better. I probably simmered mine closer to an hour, just because I got tied up doing other things. I didn't figure it would hurt as long as I kept it stirred. Good stuff!

OH, BTW, I forgot to mention, I also used your pizza dough recipe as usual AND your tip about the cheese "pillows". I also used Laura's tip to put the meat on TOP of the cheese. Best looking and tasting pizza to date! William gave the whole thing a 10! Sorry, the boys were late from hunting and I was STARVED! No picture. (They had the camera with them anyway.)
  Re: Marinara Question by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, you posted a m...)
Daphne, I think marinara sauce is one of those dishes that never tastes the same twice. I usually do add a little brown sugar to it, but I think it's one of those ingredients like s&P that I sometimes forget to mention....
Also, I guess like we all do, our favorites kind of evolve over time.

Just reading about your pizza made me so hungry!!! Aren't those little 'pillows' great?

I'd forgotten about that first thread reference - all thse dishes from Choices For a...... and Don't Eat Your heart Out are all so good.

Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Marinara Question by cjs (Daphne, I think mari...)
Thanks Jean! Oh, my, the pizzas were soooo good! And that thread and one on Soups I found yesterday were so good! The recipes I hadn't already copied, I copied yesterday.

Thanks again for the recipe. I can't wait to do pizza again.

A side note: Poor Andrew, I made the pepperoni and ham pizza just for him and he stayed out at the club with some of the younger members. They were helping him with his deer and talked him into cooking part of the deer he killed yesterday. He was so mad when he got home! He ate some though. Funny thing, he liked the sausage, roasted red pepper and onion one better. Go figure.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Marinara Question by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks Jean! Oh, my...)
Have you ever tried baking soda instead of sugar to cut the acid in your marinara? It only takes a small amount 1/2 to 1 teasp per quart of sauce.
  Re: Re: Marinara Question by HomeCulinarian (Have you ever tried ...)
baking soda - I remember adding it to something(s) over the years....hmmmm, don't remember what.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com