Ratatouille
  Re: (...)
I'm going to take a stab at ratatouille tonight. (How hard can it be?). What is your preferred way of cooking the veggies? I've seen recipes for roasting, grilling and on top of the stove. And how small do you cut up your veggies?
  Re: Ratatouille by Trixxee (I'm going to take a ...)
Trixxee, the only time I've ever done ratatouille was with the Ratatouille Chicken Thighs, which was WONDERFUL, BTW! I cut everything in 1 inch chunks except the onion which was cut in 2 inch chunks. It was roasted, also. I would definitely roast the veggies, whatever you do. They carmelize so much nicer that way....YUM!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Ratatouille by Gourmet_Mom (Trixxee, the only ti...)
Cute and funny movie too
  Re: Re: Ratatouille by DFen911 (Cute and funny movie...)
I loved the movie!! I just watched it last Saturday.

I thought it was a truly vegetarian dish. My Mom always made it that way, which any other family members hated, which was cool, so more for me and Mom.

What is the traditional recipe? I thought that was posted somewhere with the movie details.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Ratatouille by BarbaraS (I loved the movie!! ...)
I've made the Roasted Ratatouille and like it better than the stewed version. The one that goes with the roasted chicken thighs is one of our family favorites.

So, what's the verdict, Trixxee? How did it go over?
  Re: Re: Ratatouille by HomeCulinarian (I've made the Roaste...)
Traditionally ratatouille is a dish of veggies simmered in olive oil, which I really don't care for. I much prefer my veggies just tossed with a little oil/seasoning and roasted on baking sheets.

You can use any veggies, but eggplant, tomatoes, onions, garlic and zucc I think are the most often used.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Ratatouille by cjs (Traditionally ratato...)
Well, this is what we came up with because it's "Ratatouille's Ratatouille." It actually was very, very good and Michael did try it - that's all I can ever hope for. I used a Japanese eggplant. We sprinkled parmesan on it too to make it a little more kid friendly.

My husband and I gobbled it up.

http://smittenkitchen.com/2007/07/rat-a-...or-you-ee/
  Re: Re: Ratatouille by Trixxee (Well, this is what w...)
Isn't that a pretty dish!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Ratatouille by cjs (Isn't that a pretty ...)
That looks like it's worth trying! Very nice presentation.
  Re: Re: Ratatouille by HomeCulinarian (That looks like it's...)
LOVE veggies---this will be on my menu soon-to-be---did not see the movie but heard nice reviews with ratatouille raves.. nice reminder for a try (Peter is not that crazy about veggies but a good sport and will try anything I make---LUCKY ME!!!!)
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy