A Table for Two Review
  Re: (...)
Tonite we had the sugar rubbed steaks from Issue 56 p15. They were PERFECT. Very, very tasty and the salad was exactly right as a side. Also, since hubby loves butternut squash I did Jean's gratins. He loved them, so did I. It was a lovely dinner and we had a White Merlot to go with it. That was the first time we've had that wine, and we really liked it. The whole evening was wonderful.
We give this meal 8.6 YUMS
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: A Table for Two Review by farnfam (Tonite we had the su...)
I agree, this was a great steak! I think I reviewed it a while back but maybe I just mentioned it in passing.

Thanks for the reminder, time to do it again! I'm glad you had a nice dinner, Cis.

PJ
PJ
The sugar caramalizes on the steak and makes it wonderful--but only the one who shares it with you can make it magic---I believe in magic, so do you---congratulations--
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: A Table for Two Review by Old Bay (The sugar caramalize...)
Well put, Resident Sage.

Had to look this one up - I made it 9/16/07 and Roy gave it a '15'
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: A Table for Two Review by cjs (Well put, Resident S...)
Made this a while ago as well-----I agree----super YUMMMM!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
That was the very first issue that we received from Cuisine and I think we made every dish in there in a week except for the quiche - I love quiche and Mister doesn't - I did make it later for me and daughter - but the steak we really enjoyed - thanks for your review, Cis, and a reminder to make this tasty dish again -
  Re: Re: A Table for Two Review by (That was the very fi...)
This sounds good!! I'll have to give this a try!

Thanks!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: A Table for Two Review by BarbaraS (This sounds good!! ...)
OOOOOOOO, could you post that recipe for the sugar rubbed steaks? Please, please, please? I just started getting the magazine this year. If Jean's Roy gave it a 15, it must be awesome.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: A Table for Two Review by chef_Tab (OOOOOOOO, could you ...)
Steak with bacon vinaigrette and blue cheese:

Makes one steak, 3 cups salad, and 1/3 cup vinaigrette
Total time: about 30 minutes

For the Steak -
COMBINE; Press On:
2 T. brown sugar
1 1/2 t. ground black pepper
1/2 t. kosher salt
1 New York Strip Steak, 1-1/2" thick (12-16 oz)

For the Salad -
TOSS Together:
3 Cups romanine lettuce, chopped
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
1/3 cup blue cheese, crumbled

SAUTE; Deglaze and Finish With:
1 strip thick-sliced bacon, minced
2 T. shallots, minced
1/3 C red wine vinegar
2 t. brown sugar
1 t. dijon mustard
Salt and pepper to taste
2 T. olive oil

Drizzle vinaigrette over; Serve with:
Prepared salad and steak
Baked potatoes

Preheat oven to 450 degrees; heat an oven-proof non-stick skillet over medium.

COMBINE 2 T brown sugar, pepper, and salt in a bowl. "Press" sugar mixture onto both sides of the steak, then sear it on one side until browned, about 5 minutes. Flip steak and brown the second side for 2 minutes, then transfer pan to the oven to finish(about 8 minutes for med-rare). Remove steak and let rest on a cutting board.

TOSS lettuce, tomatoes, and blue cheese together while steak is in the oven; chill until ready to serve.

SAUTE bacon in a small skillet over medium-high heat until crisp; add shallots and cook until soft, about 2 minutes. Deglaze with vinegar, then whisk in 2 t. brown sugar, mustard, salt, and pepper. Finish vinaigrette with oil and keep warm.

To serve, cut steak in half and place each half on serving plates. Divide salad between the steaks.

Drizzle the steak and salad with the warm vinaigrette. Serve with baked potatoes, is desired.

Courtesy of [Email]C@H.[/Email]

Barbara

edit: &*@m! typos!!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: A Table for Two Review by BarbaraS (Steak with bacon vin...)
Oh Theresa, I think you will really enjoy it! Let me know if you try it. We only made one teensy change, we used gorganzola crumbles for the bleu cheese in the salad. YUM
As I mentioned we served with Jean's butternut squash gratins. It was lovely *sigh*
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life