Hey Labs...
  Re: (...)
Just wondering if this looks about right for Chef Puck's chicken bolognese sauce???

Chicken or Beef Bolognese
Recipe courtesy Wolfgang Puck, Pizza, Pasta & More!, Random House, 2000.

Chicken or Beef Bolognese

5 tablespoons olive oil
2 pounds coarsely ground chicken, preferably dark meat, or, 2 pounds coarsely ground beef
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 medium white onion, (about 2 cups), trimmed and cut into small dice
2 medium carrots, (about 1 cup), trimmed, peeled, and cut into small dice
1 medium celery stalk, trimmed and cut into small dice
4 or 5 garlic cloves, cut into small dice
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 1/2 cups dry white wine
2 1/2 pounds Roma tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped fine
3 cups chicken stock, heated
Pinch or minced fresh oregano leaves
Pinch minced fresh thyme leaves
6 or 7 chopped fresh basil leaves
Pinch red pepper flakes, or to taste
2 pounds rigatoni, cooked al dente

In a 10 or 12-inch saute pan, heat 3 tablespoons of the olive oil. Saute the ground chicken or beef until lightly browned, breaking up the pieces as they cook. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Remove the chicken or beef with a slotted spoon and drain in a colander. Set aside until needed.

In the same saute pan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Over medium heat, saute the onion, carrots and celery until they just start to color, 6 to 8 minutes. Do not brown. Add the garlic, stir in the tomato paste, and cook a few minutes longer.

Deglaze the pan with the wine and cook, stirring occasionally, until almost all the liquid has evaporated. Add the tomatoes, cook for 2 or 3 minutes, then pour in the stock and reserved chicken and season with the oregano, thyme, and a little salt and pepper. Cook until the sauce has thickened slightly, about 30 minutes. If the sauce has thickened too much or you prefer a thinner sauce, add a little more stock. Stir in the chopped basil and the red pepper flakes and adjust the seasoning, to taste. Serve over rigatoni.

Yield: 4 to 6 servings

If not I'll keep looking...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Hey Labs... by firechef (Just wondering if th...)
Hard to say, since what the things publishes in the books or on his website are not always exactly the same as used in the restaurants (probably to keep SOME secrets, as well as to make the recipes more accessible to home cooks who don't have access to food-service products).

Still, it looks pretty good, and I'll certainly give it a try. When working at the restaurant, I never made that sauce - that was someone else's job.

One difference I can see right now is that the recipe you posted calls for GROUND chicken or beef, but our sauce had chicken that had been VERY finely diced. Thus, it had really nice, but small chunks of chicken, instead of just chicken mince.

Thanks, though. Shall try this soon! Only after making it and tasting it shall I be able to tell you how close it is.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Hey Labs... by labradors (Hard to say, since w...)
I have a bunch of his from a disgruntled former employee of a location at Disney World...I'll see if she has that one the next time I hear from her.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Hey Labs... by firechef (Just wondering if th...)
Sorry firechief, CHICKEN bolognese--Wolfgang has been in Hollywood too long--it will be like chicken chili--mush--stay away from WP--you know so much more than me, but WP is into himself and should have stayed with pizza.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Hey Labs... by Old Bay (Sorry firechief, CHI...)
I like two of his recipes and I'll post them this week sometime...one is a torte and the other is a 16-layer chocolate cake!

Might as well make our "lady friends" here hate me some more, right?
  Re: Re: Hey Labs... by firechef (I have a bunch of hi...)
Quote:

I have a bunch of his from a disgruntled former employee of a location at Disney World...

That's the location where I used to work! It's a small world, after all! LOL!

He didn't happen to have the Caesar dressing recipe, did he? I had it, somewhere, but haven't been able to find it, and that was the best Caesar dressing I have ever had. In fact, up until I worked there, I had never liked Caesar salad, but that dressing changed all that. We actually used to have a couple of regular (but infrequent) customers, from out of state who, when they would visit, would buy a couple of QUARTS of that dressing to take home with them. LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Hey Labs... by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Over the years I've found 3 or 4 of his recipes that I really like and are fun to put together - one especially a deep fried catfish with ginger, so good.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Hey Labs... by cjs (Over the years I've ...)
MMMmmm catfish and ginger, sounds tempting, Jean. If you get a minute could you post it? Please
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Hey Labs... by farnfam (MMMmmm catfish and g...)
Here you go, Cis - haven't made since we've practically given up 'deep fried,' darn it!!

Whole Sizzling Catfish with Ginger and Ponzu Sauce
Serving Size : 4

1 3-pound whole catfish -- cleaned
salt and pepper -- to taste
6 fresh ginger pieces -- sliced and blanched
peanut oil -- as needed
lemon juice -- as needed

PONZU SAUCE:
4 ounces soy sauce
4 ounces mirin
4 ounces rice vinegar
4 ounces lemon juice
fresh wood ear mushrooms -- as needed to garnish
green onions -- as needed to garnish

1. Season the catfish with salt and pepper. Make three 2-inch (5-centimeter) incisions on each side of the fish and stuff each incision with blanched ginger.

2. Deep-fry the catfish in peanut oil, being careful to submerge the entire fish. Cook until golden-colored and crispy.

3. Squeeze fresh lemon juice over the top of the fish.

4. Make the sauce by combining the listed ingredients.

5. Serve the whole catfish on a platter garnished with wood ear mushrooms, cilantro and green onions. Serve the Ponzu Sauce on the side.

NOTES : Chinois on Main, Santa Monica, CA
Chef Wolfgang Puck
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Hey Labs... by cjs (Here you go, Cis - h...)
Thanks for the recipe, Jean. The Ponzu sauce sounds great.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.