Re: (...)
How about a survey??

I like --
Carrino's
Whataburger
Mortons
Capital Grill

I may add more later--
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Judging Upscale Chains by Old Bay (How about a survey??...)
Old Bay - Haven't personally tried any of these... Hubby likes to tell the story when he was on a business trip to Chicago that he and a colleague went to Mortons. The restaurant didn't appear to be very busy, but there was a 30 minute wait... and they were directed to the bar. They said, "no thanks" and were going to be on their way. Miraculously, a table became available! They enjoyed the dinner.. he said it was about the best steak dinner he ever had. Completely blew his expense account!
  Re: Re: Judging Upscale Chains by HomeCulinarian (Old Bay - Haven't pe...)
Yep! $$$$ The Lamb is incredibile.
Whataburger is the best chain hamburger place in America.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Judging Upscale Chains by Old Bay (How about a survey??...)
Had wonderful meals at Mortons and Capital Grill.

I"ll add Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Judging Upscale Chains by pjcooks (Had wonderful meals ...)
Never been to any of those listed...so I'll be quiet.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Judging Upscale Chains by cjs (Never been to any of...)
Upscale Chains?? We've got a Red Lobster in Watertown, does that count?
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Judging Upscale Chains by farnfam (Upscale Chains?? We...)
Quote:

Upscale Chains?? We've got a Red Lobster in Watertown, does that count?

Only if the other chains are Burger King and McDonald's. LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Judging Upscale Chains by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Actually, Rob, that's exactly which ones they are!!! With a Taco Bell thrown in for good measure
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Judging Upscale Chains by farnfam (Actually, Rob, that'...)
One chain I will warn you about is Shula's. It's not a restaurant, it's a he-man-meat-eating club. And danged expensive!

We were in Disney world for a couple days last Feb when the hubby made reservations there. Now, I like upscale steak houses just like everyone else, and don't mind paying the price for top quality beef, but this one was over the top!

The smallest filet you can get is 12 oz. The smallest cut of ribeye is 24 oz!The smallest cut of t-bone (cowboy/porterhouse cut) is 48 oz!! Catch where I'm going here? So we decided on surf and turf - 8 oz filet, 8 oz tail. I opted for the tomato/lettuce salad which had to have been a whole head of lettuce. Didn't even put a dent in it. Still couldn't finish the entree (@$85 per). The bill, including tip came to $300 and I felted like I had been violated. I couldn't even take the leftovers with me because our room at the Caribbean resort didn't have a fridge.

OTOH, the service was impeccable. I swear, they must have video cameras throughout the dining room because as soon as my water glass reached a certain level, voila!, there was our server. And the food was excellent, just too much. In hindsight, I should've asked if we could have split an entree.

Sullivan's Steak House - very good!
Ruth Chris' - eh
Morton's - got no bells in its review in Philly by the food critic (eek!)

edit to add: when we went to Niagra Falls a couple years ago we dined at The Keg and Barrel a couple times. Very good food and service. Drank some great wines up there, too.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Judging Upscale Chains by farnfam (Actually, Rob, that'...)
Quote:

Actually, Rob, that's exactly which ones they are!!! With a Taco Bell thrown in for good measure

Just curious: is there also a Fazoli's? This may sound funny, but my Italian friends in Orlando always considered Fazoli's MUCH better than Olive Garden. LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?