What does osso bucco-style cut mean?
  Re: (...)
I'm going to make braised turkey legs but the recipie calls for them to be cut osso bucco-sytle.. not sure what that means... any help? New to the forum by the way.
  Re: What does osso bucco-style cut mean? by Braisin_Boy (I'm going to make br...)
Hi and Welcome to the forum. Is this a C@H recipe? If so, what issue?

I'm not sure what it means. Seeing the recipe might help. I thought it was more a type of cooking/stew - not a cut of meat. There are many knowledgable cooks/chefs on this forum - I'm sure someone will know.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: What does osso bucco-style cut mean? by esgunn (Hi and Welcome to th...)
Well if you're using turkey, it would be leave the meat on the bone. I think I would remove the skin however. If you want to use it for flavor you could leave it in the pot while you braise it and remove it before serving.
  Re: Re: What does osso bucco-style cut mean? by DFen911 (Well if you're using...)
I agree with Denise - I made chicken (thigh) osso buco for a catering job a while back and it was delicious - just like I would have made with veal shanks (seasonings, braising and gremolata to finish).

Welcome to the neighborhood!! Hope you stick around for a long time.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What does osso bucco-style cut mean? by cjs (I agree with Denise ...)
You want the center shank only. The osso buco cut is to remove the lower shank and the upper knee joint.

Then remove the skin and tie the meat with two half hitches to the bone. This would complete the osso buco fabrication.

Turkey works well as done ostrich.

Welcome!!!!
Chef de Cuisine
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Re: What does osso bucco-style cut mean? by bbally (You want the center ...)
Wow! Thanks everyone.. I really appreciate that and I'm glad to be here. What a great response to a newbie! Got it.. looking forward to making it. here is the link to what I'm going to do: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeri...cipe/index.html

I don't see a bond though.. do you think it's removed?
  Re: Re: What does osso bucco-style cut mean? by Braisin_Boy (Wow! Thanks everyone...)
More than likely the bond/tie is removed before plating or serving.

Welcome aboard.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: What does osso bucco-style cut mean? by bjcotton (More than likely the...)
That really does look and sound good. I hope you come back and let us know how it worked out. BTW, WELCOME!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.