Beer & Food
  Re: (...)
Talked with one of the wineries here in town, Harbingers, yesterday and Sara, the winemaker invited me to work with her/them on a beer and food tasting. They are branching out and making beers and wines both now.

Anyone have any great pairings they can tell me about? Not sure what all types of beer they will be making. I have Garrett Oliver's The Brewmaster's Table, that I have used in the past when I'm asked to do this but I still am a novice at this type of pairing. Think it's going to be fun to learn more about this.

Any good ideas lurking out there?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Beer & Food by cjs (Talked with one of t...)
Can't help you there. The only way I like beer is to cook with it - not to drink it. For cooking, though, it is wonderful for stews, batters (esp. for onion rings) and, of course, for cooking knackwurst, bratwurst, kielbasa, et al.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Beer & Food by cjs (Talked with one of t...)
About the only time I drink beer is with a Ruebin sandwich. I like Beck's dark.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Beer & Food by Old Bay (About the only time ...)
I know one of the pro food mags just did a report on the growth of beer and food pairings taking off in the U.S. I normally drink the beer of the area of the dish's origins...lame I know.

I'll try to look for some more details on that story. I know Samuel Adams has a pairing guide on their website for all of their flavours and the foods to match them with.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Beer & Food by firechef (I know one of the pr...)
I love beer so I think "Beer and Food" is a perfect pairing! I would say that I change the beer I drink more on a seasonal basis. I love dark heavy beers in the winter and tend toward wheat beers and such in the summer. On tap is always the best.

I did have a marguerita that was made with beer. It was a refreshing summer drink. The hostess put a large can of frozen limeade in a pitcher. She added a half of that can of tequila and stirred until blended. Then she poured in 2 bottles of Corona and stirred gently(so not to lose all of the carbonation). I like traditional margueritas better, but this was a nice change. We drank 2 pitchers quite easily.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Beer & Food by chef_Tab (I love beer so I thi...)
I've seen a lot of the lists different people/companies put out - I'm wondering about personal matchings and preferences, like what Theresa had to say.

The margaritas - we had some (meaning drank a lot one time ) made with wine because of no liquor license. Pretty good.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Beer & Food by chef_Tab (I love beer so I thi...)
James and I are just getting into beers. We like one they have here by the Saranac Brewery called Black Forest and it is very good. It's a dark beer. Yingling's Black and Tan is good too. Neither is probbly special enuff for any kind of gormet menu, but we like them.

Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Beer & Food by cjs (I've seen a lot of t...)
My mom was German and through my whole childhood her beverage of choice for dinner was something she called a "Radler Mass". The story, as she told it, was that the cyclists in the Tour de France would drink this as our athletes of today drink gatorade. It is a mixture of half beer and half lemon/lime soda. It was refreshing without the buzz. I believe you can still order it at bars in Germany, though I have not been there in too many years.
Theresa

Re: Re: Beer & Food by chef_Tab (My mom was German an...)
Sorry, Jean, you hit on a favorite topic of mine! I guess I love beer like you probably love wine. One of my favorite pairings with beer is a German dish called "Zwiebelkuchen". Basically, an onion tart. Would you like the recipe?
Theresa

Re: Re: Beer & Food by chef_Tab (Sorry, Jean, you hit...)
Duh! OF COURSE WE WANT THE RECIPE!!!!

Cis
Cis
Empress for Life