Eggplant!!
  Re: (...)
So the Hubby admits that he has a taste (read: won't confirm or deny) that he will eat eggplant.

I love eggplant! I would like to make sime eggplant rollitinis (sans all the salt he ate them with last week) this Sunday!

What's your favorite eggplant recipe and why? Vegan or not, what say you"?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Eggplant!! by BarbaraS (So the Hubby admits ...)
Here's a great party one -

SESAME EGGPLANT SALSA

2 lbs eggplant
3/4 c green onions -- packed, minced
2 1/2 Tbsps fresh ginger -- minced
2 Tbsps garlic -- minced
1 sm Serrano pepper -- minced
3 Tbsps light brown sugar
2 tsps fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
2 Tbsps tamari or soy sauce
1 Tbsp canola oil
1 1/2 tsps dark sesame oil
3/4 c tomatoes -- chopped, seeded & peeled
3/4 c fresh cilantro -- packed, minced
fresh cilantro for garnish
Sliced green onions

Prepare the Pita Crisps (if using) up to 3 days ahead.
Preheat oven to 425°

Cut stem ends off eggplants & prick well all over w/knife.
Place on a baking sht & roast for 30-45 min. depending on size.
Turn at least once while roasting.
The eggplant is done when a fork sinks easily into the thickest part.
It s/b completely soft. Remove from oven &, when cool enuf, scrape the creamy pulp from the skin into food processor. Pulse quickly just till it is pureed.

Combine the minced gr. onion, ginger, garlic, & chile in a bowl.

Combine the b.sugar, lemon juice, vinegar, & tamari (or soy sauce) in a small bowl & whisk to blend.

Place a large sauté pan over med-hi heat & swirl the canola oil around to coat the pan.
Add the gr. onion mixture & sauté till softened w/out coloring, ~45 seconds.
Add the sugar mixture & bring to a simmer, stirring rapidly.
Reduce heat & add eggplant puree.
Stir well to blend & heat thru, 1-2 min., stirring constantly.
Remove from heat & stir in sesame oil, tomatoes, & cilantro & fold to blend.

This may be served immediately, but it tastes better if made 1-2 days before & refrigerated. Bring it back to room temp. before serving.

Yield: "4 c"
Serving Ideas : Serve w/Pita Crisps (see recipe)
Garnish the top w/minced cilantro & sliced gr. onions & surround w/Pita Crisps (or chips of some sort)

NOTES : Best if made at least one day in advance.

----------
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Eggplant!! by cjs (Here's a great party...)
Oh yeah, this looks great!!

How about some entrees and side dishes??

Yumm, yumm, yumm...

And while we're on the subject, what's your preferred way to flavor this veggie? Can we talk about technique? Oil, salt? Brining? BRINING???!!!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Eggplant!! by BarbaraS (Oh yeah, this looks ...)
So you have tried the Eggplant Rolatini's from C@H
Besides the Eggplant Parmesean ( Nana's was the BEST) I also like to steam it in a small amt of chix juice and do Thai style dishes with it.
Btw, I read that slicing the eggplant in an un-uniform way makes it stick less and that does seem to work.
Oh and lest I forget, there's those wonderful eggplant tomato stacks from Micheal Chiarello
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Eggplant!! by farnfam (So you have tried th...)
We had never had eggplant much around here until this past summer. I definitely salt mine and set in a drain for a while, then rinse and pat dry before using it.

The three ways I've liked it best so far has been Eggplant and Sun-Dried Tomato Pizza from Jean, the Ratatouille Chicken Thighs w/Soft Polenta from C@H and a Grilled Eggplant and Goat Cheese Salad courtesy Giada De Laurentiis. All REALLY good. I'd love to see the rolatini recipe. I found a couple more eggplants in the garden this weekend that should be ready in a couple days.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Eggplant!! by Gourmet_Mom (We had never had egg...)
NEIMAN MARCUS EGGPLANT PARMESAN

We halved this reipe last week and it was wonderful!!
4 small eggplants, peeled and cut lengthwise into 1/2 inch slices
2 T kosher salt
2 C all purpose flour
4 C dry bread crumbs
5 large eggs
1/2 C olive oil
4 to 5 C tomato sauce-purchased or your own
2 C grated parmesan cheese
8 fresh basil leaves, torn
2 T minced fresh oregano
3 T minced fresh parsley
4 Swiss Chard leaves, sliced 1/2 inch lengthwise (my addition)
2 lbs fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2 inch slices

Preheat oven to 350.
Place eggplant slices (cut with a mandoline or v slicer if possible) on a large baking sheet and sprinkle with salt. Let stand for about 15 min.

Place flour and bread crumbs on seperate dishes. Beat eggs in a shallow bowl.
Dipan eggplant slice first in the flour, then the eggwash, and then breadcrumbs. Transfer to a platter and repeat for remaining eggplant. Heat 2 T oil in heavy skillet over med heat. When oil is hot add one quarter of eggplant slices and saute each side for 2-3 min or until golden and crisp. Drain and repeat until all eggplant is finished.

Ladle 2 C of tomato sauce into a 4 qt casserole dish. Arrange a single layer of eggplant over the sauce and sprinkle with parmesan. Add one more C of tomato sauce, half the basil leaves, oregano, parsley, and chard. Add a layer of mozzarella and repeat the process, beginning with more tomato sauce. Keep layering until finished ending with sauce and mozzarella.

Place the casserole dish on a baking sheet, cover with foil and bake for 30 min. Uncover and bake 30 min longer, or until the internal temp reaches 165.
Serve with a nice chianti or sangiovese--"serve with fava beans if it turns you on Clarise"--the line doesn't have the same impact with a vegitarian dish.
Great movie.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Eggplant!! by Old Bay (NEIMAN MARCUS EGGPLA...)
When the kids were home the only way they would eat eggplant was to slice thinly, put a slice of cheese between two of the slices, flour, egg dip, cracker dip and fry. A little marinara sauce over and eveyone was happy.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Eggplant!! by Old Bay (NEIMAN MARCUS EGGPLA...)
Neiman Marcus has recipes? Wow!! That sounds really tasty!

Barbara
  Re: Re: Eggplant!! by BarbaraS (Neiman Marcus has re...)
they have cookie recipe also -
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Eggplant!! by cjs (they have cookie rec...)
I guess they're having a hard time moving those Mercedes Benz's with the Svarowsky-encrusted grilles.

Barbara