A day that gave me pause.
  Re: (...)
Ok so without going on for pages and pages. Susie and I met when we were both working for an online gaming company. We became fast friends. We saw each other at least 3 times month hung out etc.

7 years ago she decides to up and move to Texas. She met this man (online) and was going to be with him. This was against my better judgement, but it was her life and she was so happy. Off she goes...we still stay in touch, email and IM's. A few years pass and letters and cards I sent are return undeliverable. Needless to day I found out why and went to great extremems to get in contact with her. So 4 years ago she calls me. I am relieved and angry at the reason why she's gotten into the predictament she's in. It's also the day before Derek, Laura and I are to leave for Costa Rica. The conversation ended with me being confrontational and her being P-O'd. Told me to stay away, leave her alone, never wanted to speak to me again..how dare I..all the usual. Ok...I have come to terms with that.

Today I come home and sitting in house is hubby with a glass of wine for me and a big box from Amazon. He thinks I've been getting ready for Christmas and I tell him..no havnen't ordered anything. So I open it and it's a 15" cast iron skillet. It was on my amazon wish list. The invoice said "Denise, I've been thinking about you a lot lately. Wondering how to reopen the door. Found your wishlist and thought it would be useful to bonk me on the head with. I am so sorry for what I said in our last conversation. I hope you can forgive me. Susie"

I cried so hard!! Still have tears..I wish she had left her phone # but at least there is an address. I cannot begin to figure out what I'm going to say and how much I miss her

What a day!
  Re: A day that gave me pause. by DFen911 (Ok so without going ...)
LOL! Love her "bonk on the head" comment.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: A day that gave me pause. by DFen911 (Ok so without going ...)
AW Denise...that IS a day to give one pause! Not knowing all that transpired, especially the phone call, I'd say send her a thank you note and let her know you are willing to reopen communication and miss her. Then let her make the next move. Surely she still has your phone number, if she still has your address. Hopefully, she will make the call and you two can have a wonderful, tearful reunion.

Shoot, I just realized, you didn't ask for advice. Sorry! Oh well, my two cents anyway.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: A day that gave me pause. by Gourmet_Mom (AW Denise...that IS ...)
Sounds like a day that could lead to a really good day or lead to more heart ache. I guess the skillet could lead to a "gift" for the Hubby as well once you start cooking in it.

Online relationships are so strange...some end in disaster while others end wonderful. Holly and I met through Yahoo Personals after all.

Best wishes for a wonderful friendship to return...and if not you still have us wacko online types!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: A day that gave me pause. by firechef (Sounds like a day th...)
Sounds like she really needs a support system - any (other) signs of abuse?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: A day that gave me pause. by cjs (Sounds like she real...)
That took a lot of guts on her side to reach out to you. When my daughter "broke off" relations with her best friend, there were lots of angry words said. The girls have since made up and my daughter at that time focused on these words from I Corinthians. -- 4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
  Re: Re: A day that gave me pause. by HomeCulinarian (That took a lot of g...)
Thanks guys. I am so confused by the whole event. I sent her a letter thanking her for the gift and made sure she has all my contact info. There is so much that has happened in my life that she doesn't know, and I am sure vice versa. I guess I'll just take it one step at a time...wait till she calls and go from there.
  Re: Re: A day that gave me pause. by DFen911 (Thanks guys. I am so...)
I hope it works out Denise. I think Jeanette made a great post...words we should all live by...even when things get tough.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: A day that gave me pause. by DFen911 (Thanks guys. I am so...)
Honey, This kind of happened to me. I made up my mind to accept that I had to decide which I valued most, the unkind words that were said about me and the unkind words I said to another, or the long time friendship and caring that we had had. I'm glad to say that I chose the friendship and caring. I have again become friends with both those people. One made the first move to reconcile and I made the first move toward the other. Your friend sounds like she could use a friend and I'm glad you gave her all your contact info. You, my dear, are one hell of a woman and friend.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: A day that gave me pause. by bjcotton (Honey, This kind of ...)
Oh Billy.. *wipes a tear*

I am so hopeful she calls. The letter went out yesterday...now it's sit and wait.