Holiday Appetizer Ideas for 2008
  Re: (...)
The holidays are here - it's time for some new ideas for appetizers, right? Here's one to start things off from plate du jour newsletter.

Hopefully this thread can be for new recipes that we haven't posted before - we can always find those.

[Image: ChorizoDates.jpg]

* Exported from MasterCook *

CHORIZO-STUFFED DATES WITH CHERMOULA SAUCE

1/2 lb. chorizo
10 dates -- halved, seeded
10 bacon slices -- medium-thick cut, halved
-----
Chermoula sauce -- as needed (see recipe)

1. Split chorizo sausages in half and remove meat from casing with a spoon

2. Brown sausage in a pan over medium-high heat until cooked through. Drain off any excess fat. Reserve to cool.

3. Fill a date half with cooked chorizo and wrap with bacon. Place in a 375 degree F oven until bacon is crispy, about 15 to 20 minutes.

4. Serve 5 dates per serving topped with chermoula sauce. Nap the plate with dots of sauce and place the dates on the 'dots'.

2 servings
Chef Monica Pope, T'afia - Houston

Description:
"plate du jour newsletter"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

CHERMOULA SAUCE

2 garlic cloves -- finely chopped
1/3 cup cilantro -- finely chopped
3/4 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. cumin
1 dash cayenne
1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 lemon -- juice of
salt to taste

Whisk ingredients together. Refrigerate until ready to use.

use with CHORIZO-STUFFED DATES WITH CHERMOULA SAUCE

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Holiday Appetizer Ideas for 2008 by cjs (The holidays are her...)
omg, I was just looking at that recipe this morning! I get those emails too and it was the only one that sparked my interest.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Holiday Appetizer Ideas for 2008 by chef_Tab (omg, I was just look...)
Wonder how it would be with figs in place of dates?
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Holiday Appetizer Ideas for 2008 by firechef (Wonder how it would ...)
O.K. I guess - or use the figs for this.

Quarter 12 figs, cutting three-quarters of the way down. Stuff the figs with goat cheese. Roast in an oiled pan at 425° for 12 minutes, until softened. Serve drizzled with warmed honey.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Holiday Appetizer Ideas for 2008 by cjs (O.K. I guess - or us...)
Well, other than the Pear and Gorgonzola Torta I mentioned in another thread, I'm looking at these.

[Image: Torta1-1.jpg]

Spinach and Sun-Dried Tomato Torta

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 packages cream cheese -- softened
1 1/2 cups parmesan cheese -- grated
1/2 cup feta cheese -- crumbled
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup frozen spinach -- thawed and drained
1 cup sun-dried tomatoes
1 cup pine nuts -- toasted
3 ounces pesto sauce -- store bought or homemade

In a large bowl, combine cheeses and garlic powder. Beat with an electric mixer at medium speed until well combined. Divide cream cheese mixture into thirds. Combine one third of the mixture with spinach, set aside.

Line a round 8 inch cake pan with plastic wrap. Spread one third cream cheese mixture in the bottom of the pan. Layer half the tomatoes on the cheese. Spread spinach mixture on top o tomatoes. Layer remaining tomatoes on top of spinach mixture. Top with remaining cheese mixture, refrigerate for 1 hour..

Invert on serving dish, and remove from pan. Carefully remove plastic wrap. Cover sides of torta with pine nuts. Spread pesto on top of torta. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve with crackers.

Source:
"Parties from Taste of the South page 75"

[Image: Torta2.jpg]

Tiramisu Torta

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup hazelnuts -- chopped
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1 package cream cheese -- softened
1/4 cup confectioner's sugar
2 packages mascarpone cheese -- tiramisu flavored, softened
1/4 cup chocolate -- coarsely grated

In a medium saute pan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Stir in hazelnuts, sugar, and water. Cook ~7 minutes, or until the nuts are toasted and syrup coats nuts evenly. Spread nuts out on parchment paper. Using a fork, separate nuts, and cool completely. Coating will harden.

In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners' sugar with an electric mixer at medium speed, until smooth, set aside.

Line a round 6 inch cake pan with plastic wrap. Spread half the mascarpone cheese on bottom of pan. Sprinkle with one third grated chocolate. Spread cream cheese mixture on top of chocolate layer. Sprinkle with one third grated chocolate. Spread remaining mascarpone cheese in pan, refrigerate for 1 hour.

Invert onto serving dish, and remove from pan. Carefully remove plastic wrap. Cover sides of torta with candied hazelnuts; sprinkle top with remaining chocolate. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve with chocolate cookies or biscotti.

Source:
"Parties from Taste of the South page 77"

BTW, speaking of figs, the same "book" has bacon wrapped figs also!

Oh, I forgot the Chocolate Sushi (filled with Chantilly Cream)! If anyone is interested...don't have it in MC9, yet. So pretty!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Holiday Appetizer Ideas for 2008 by Gourmet_Mom (Well, other than the...)
I need to stay away from this thread! just say no.
Theresa

Re: Re: Holiday Appetizer Ideas for 2008 by chef_Tab (I need to stay away ...)
Stay with us, Theresa! I saw one in a magazine I read on the plane, just have to find it. It was a variation of Egg Rolls, instead of deep frying them, they were done as a strudel and baked. You got all the flavours, but not the fat. I'm busy the next few days, but will try to post on the wekend. if I don't , someone pls pm me.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Holiday Appetizer Ideas for 2008 by Lorraine (Stay with us, Theres...)
aha, permission to nag!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Holiday Appetizer Ideas for 2008 by cjs (aha, permission to n...)
Like we need permission, Jean!
Theresa