Asian Dinner Recipes
  Re: Re: Asian Dinner Recipes by chef_Tab (The chicken lo mein ...)
I've just finished my menu and shopping list for the next few days and this is on the list....this AND the soup! I only made my plans thru Monday in hopes that SOMETHING will come in by then so I can get some new ideas.

>>>crosses fingers<<<<
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Asian Dinner Recipes by chef_Tab (The chicken lo mein ...)
Quote:

The chicken lo mein is awesome.

Definitely want to try this one, so it's good to hear some other, favourable comments.

Fortunately, I DO already have some Sherry, so this recipe isn't much of a stretch. Wish I would also make that pork dish, but cannot get the rice wine, let alone a whole bottle of it (that's what the recipe said!), and I just can't bring myself to use a whole bottle of Amontillado in its place.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Asian Dinner Recipes by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
OKAY, so I picked up two kinds of noodles today. I didn't make it to the Asian Market, so this is grocery store Ka-Me brand and what they had to offer:

[Image: 51739EV9DPL._SS500_.jpg][Image: 41DW39YYX9L._SS500_.jpg]

Which should I use for the lo mein? I also have some linguine.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Asian Dinner Recipes by Gourmet_Mom (OKAY, so I picked up...)
Those ones labelled "Wide Lo Mein Noodles" certainly ARE wide! They could almost be Chow Fun noodles (if they were made out of rice).

For this recipe, I'd probably use the wide ones, and save the "Plain Noodles" for Chow Mein.
  Re: Re: Asian Dinner Recipes by labradors (Those ones labelled ...)
Quote:

Those ones labelled "Wide Lo Mein Noodles" certainly ARE wide!

I know! I was hoping for something round and in-between...but not happening! They are not rice noodles...got those, but knew that wasn't what I needed.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Asian Dinner Recipes by Gourmet_Mom ( [blockquote]Quote:[...)
I must disagree with Labs on this one - the rule of thumb with those noodles is wide with strong dishes (like Beef) and the thinner with a lighter dishes, like chicken.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Asian Dinner Recipes by cjs (I must disagree with...)
I could go along with that. Otherwise, I was just saying what I have seen, not any particular rule(s) I have heard.
  Re: Re: Asian Dinner Recipes by labradors (I could go along wit...)
Thanks Jean. BTW, while in Southport yesterday Mom took me out to Thai Peppers. I had a wonderful Garlic Pepper Chicken...forgot the name. It was wonderful!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Asian Dinner Recipes by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks Jean. BTW, w...)
WOW, this was amazing! Thanks Jean! I didn't have the time or inclination to make the soup tonight...saving that for this weekend. But the lo mein was AWESOME! YS gave it a two thumbs up. (without the snow peas...little traitor)

Also, as Theresa said, I think 3 is the right amount of servings...minus the soup. The small noodles were perfect! It was easy for a weeknight, too! I got everything cut up while the water boiled! I'll be having these ingredients on hand from now on for a quick dinner when I'm tired.

I was a little afraid of using high heat, but it worked like it should. (I've not had a lot of luck using high with my fried rice.) YS saved a serving for tomorrow or a snack later and I got a big serving for lunch tomorrow. That would make 4 servings. (William just HAD to have appy leftovers from last night...LOL)

Okay, I'll stop rambling now...it's just that the smell is still lingering! And it was that good!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Asian Dinner Recipes by Gourmet_Mom (WOW, this was amazin...)
Daphne, I made this for dinner last night, too, and it was indeed very, very good.

I halved the recipe and it was perfect for us since DH usually eats a "2 serving" portion.

Because I had an open packet in the pantry, I used Japanese udon noodles instead of the Chinese egg noodles called for, subbed sugar snap peas for the snow peas (had them on hand), and added 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper to the seasoning sauce. YUM!!!

A change was made in the "shape" of the veggies. I have an odd quirk about the vegetables being cut to a similar shape of the pasta (or noodles, as the case may be) so I sliced the onion vertically and cut the peppers and chicken into strips. I think that it just looks better...

Thanks for posting this, Jean, as it's going into the "keep" file (I hope to get the recipe up on my blog in a few days, too).
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com