1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
Black or white pepper -- to taste
2 teaspoons Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
3/4 cup cooked crabmeat (I used 1/2 scallops, quartered) -- or cooked diced ham
1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
2 egg whites -- lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon Asian sesame oil -- or to taste
2 green onions (spring onions) -- finely chopped for garnish, optional

Bring the broth or stock to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the creamed corn and bring back to a boil (about 3 minutes).

2. Stir in the salt, sugar, white pepper, rice wine or sherry and cooked crabmeat. Cook for about 2 minutes to bring back to a boil again.

3. Give the cornstarch and water mixture a quick re-stir, and then pour into the boiling soup, stirring to thicken. When the soup has thickened, remove the saucepan from the heat.

4. Pour the egg whites into the soup in a steady stream, and quickly stir in a clockwise direction until they form thin shreds.

5. Add the sesame oil and the green onions garnish if using.

-----

We had with a stir fry Beef & Snow Peas - good, light dinner.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Cream Corn Soup by cjs (So easy, so fast, so...)
Jean, can you really taste the seafood in this? I would worry that the corn would overpower.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Cream Corn Soup by cjs (So easy, so fast, so...)
Mmmmmm... that looks so yummy! I'd have to go with diced ham and throw in a few red pepper flakes.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Cream Corn Soup by BarbaraS (Mmmmmm... that look...)
Oh yes, you can taste the crab and the scallops. This is a very 'soft' flavored dish. Ham is going in the next batch.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cream Corn Soup by cjs (Oh yes, you can tast...)
We just did a Sweet Corn and Crab Chowder at work for a second soup the other afternoon and it was sinfully good. We sold out of a couple of finished gallons in one meal service.

It was not a combination I expected to be all that great but I was pleasantly surprised. The thought of adding scallops sounds good. I have always thought of combining my Mother's Corn Chowder with my New England-style Clam Chowder but never got around to it...might now that all of these ideas are fresh in the mind.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Cream Corn Soup by firechef (We just did a Sweet ...)
I like to add corn to my (N.E.-style) clam chowder every one in a while - really like the combination of flaors.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cream Corn Soup by cjs (I like to add corn t...)
You guys are so not fair!!! I really am going to have to break down and buy myself a Master Cook. I just keep copying these things into a word file called "Linda's recipes." But it just keeps getting longer!!!

Think if you cooked a cubed potato in there instead of the egg whites it would thicken up sufficiently?
  Re: Re: Cream Corn Soup by iBcookin (You guys are so not ...)
that would work, but you'd be more in the direction of a chowder than the Asian style, I would think. But the flavor would probably be good....

Yes, Linda, give in and get MasterCook!! Much easier.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cream Corn Soup by iBcookin (You guys are so not ...)
What's "Master Cook"?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Cream Corn Soup by BarbaraS (What's "Master Cook"...)
Barbara, MasterCook9 is a software program a lot of us use to store our recipes in. Not only does it come with thousands of recipes, you can use the MC9 tab on your browser to copy and save recipes simply and easily to the program straight from the internet. Create your own cookbooks in the program like A List Appetizers, etc. You can copy your recipes from your current files, create menus, menu plans, shopping lists. It gives you nutritional values and you can adjust serving sizes...like when you have a recipe that feeds 12, you can adjust to 2, 4, or whatever. (Be careful with this part, not only does it not change amounts in the directions, some things just don't adjust to change.) I LOVE mine and could not live without it. The BEST part, it costs less than 20 bucks!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.