Cookware Questions
  Re: (...)
Hello All,

Last night I made the sugar-rubbed strip steaks from issue #56. The hubby was thrilled with the salad and the warm bacon vinaigrette, but I over-did the steaks.

I used my 12" Lodge cast iron pan because I did not want to subject my Calphalon Commercial Non-stick to the sugar. You see, I've already had to send back my 3qt saute pan for replacement because it failed to retain its non-stickiness. I blame that on all the sausage and kielbasa I've cooked in it.

Just last week I sent back my 8" and 10" frying pans for replacement, too. We'll see how that goes.

So I've been using Lodge frying pans. I seared the steaks according to directions, then inserted a instant-read oven thermometer into one of them and put the pan in the oven. The steaks cooked to 160 degrees in about 5 minutes, way sooner than I expected. I took out the pan and put the steaks on a cutting board to chill out, but it was too late.

My questions are, do you think the Lodge accelerated the cooking process?

What's your cookware of choice and why?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Cookware Questions by BarbaraS (Hello All,[br][br]La...)
First have you checked the temp of you oven to make sure it's not running high? I had a similar situation several years ago with my old oven and found it was 30 degrees hotter than what the dial said.
Hey, Barbara, thanks for the "heads up". I am making this tonight. I have only cooked steak on a grill in my lifetime, so this will be new to me. When I read the recipe, the times seemed long to me. I will cut back the oven time. I plan on using a stainless steel pan from the wolfgang puck line. Hope it works. I do have a cast iron pan I could use. I will let you know what happens.
On another note, I bought one calphalon pan and hate it. I know most people love them, but I will only use mine out of desparation.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Cookware Questions by DFen911 (First have you check...)
Quote:

First have you checked the temp of you oven to make sure it's not running high? I had a similar situation several years ago with my old oven and found it was 30 degrees hotter than what the dial said.

Denise,

The oven is spot on with the temp. I have a couple of oven thermometers in use.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Cookware Questions by chef_Tab (Hey, Barbara, thanks...)
Theresa,

Also, I used two 11 oz strip steaks instead of one 16 oz. I'm thinking now that was also a major factor. Even though they were 1 1/2" thick, they were smaller.

Barbara
Barbara, I have the Calphlon The old style - black Anodized but it is not nonstick. I love it. Have had it for 12 years. I have one nonstick skillet of theirs and I like it because it is much heavier weight than my cheepo nonstick skillet and I use it for sauteing. and quesadillas. But that is about it.

I hate having to worry about the non stick finish except for certain thinks like eggs and sauteing chicken and vegetables.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Cookware Questions by esgunn (Barbara, I have th...)
Erin,

That's what my hubby originally bought me when I asked "Santa" 9 years ago. I had asked for the professional non-stick, but got the anodized set instead. When I took him to Macy's to show him the professional line, when he saw the commercial nonstick, he told me I had to have that! LOL! And I like it, but 3 pans failed on me. Gotta love the "lifetime warranty", though!

Cookware has come a long way and there's lots out there now since the Revereware I grew up on.

I just want to know who cooks with what and their opinions.

Barbara
  Re: Re: Cookware Questions by BarbaraS (Erin,[br][br]That's ...)
My parents still have the Revereware they received as wedding gifts 50 years ago, and I still love the Revereware that I bought for myself (and the two Revere "Professional" sauté pans that I got as gifts). When some friends of mine (neither of whom cooked before they got married, until they asked me to teach them), got married, they had Calphalon on their wedding registry, but I got them a complete set of Revereware, instead, explaining the problems that many people - especially beginners - have with maintaining non-stick cookware. About a year later, they told me how well the Revereware had worked out, and said that they probably would have destroyed the Calphalon several times over already.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Cookware Questions by labradors (My parents still hav...)
When we don't grill, we use our All Clad non stick grill pan. Spray with high temp spray and grill meat to desired doneness--immediately de glaze the pan with water on the fire--steam goes everywhere! (use a long oven mit)--and put it in a sink of water and dw liquid--cleans quite nicely.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Cookware Questions by Old Bay (When we don't grill,...)
Mister uses stainless steel with copper clad (I think that is what he said) - it is not all clad - it does great from the stove to the oven for doing steaks like that, Barb - we have some cheapo non stick skillets for other thiings - we also had cast iron but we can't use the cast iron on our stove - I use the cast iron on the side burner of the grill or on a hot plate - Mister read up on our stove when we got it - it is electric glass cook top type - we don't have gas hook up as we both would rather cook with gas - but getting back to the original subject - we have as our main set the stainless - it is super heavy

btw,Mister got us an early Christmas present(s) - a warming tray with three oblong dishes and a Kitchen AidStand mixer!! The mixer was at Sam'sand at a price that you could not walk away from - I can'twait to get back home and make something -