Wine help
  Re: (...)
Okay, you all know that I know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about wine. But I decided to pick up a couple of bottles when I was at Southport today to go with my antipasto platter tomorrow. I know my cheeses may seem odd, but I didn't really have a lot to choose from other than the ordinary, so I tried to go with what I know we like. I picked up some Maytag, farmer's cheese, parm, and some brie. Then I went to the meat counter and got lucky. I got a hot Italian ham that tastes amazing, Mortadella, Sweet Cappa Colla, and Genoa Salami. With that in mind, here's my question.

I need to know if I made complimentary choices, need to pick different wines or go with martinis. What do you think and do you know any of these? I got a Ravenswood Vintners Blend Zin- '06 (if that matters) and a Chateau Ste. Michelle Sauvignon Blanc- '07.

I can assure you I will be signing us up for wine tasting classes as soon as hunting season ends!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Wine help by Gourmet_Mom (Okay, you all know t...)
I think you did well--if you get anything else get a chianti and a dry Reisling--really good job! I would start with dry gin martinis though.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Wine help by Old Bay (I think you did well...)
Zin can be pretty potent. Perhaps a Shiraz (Yellowtail is especially good) would be helpful, as well.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Wine help by labradors (Zin can be pretty po...)
Hey Mom send me a bottle of each and we will check them out and send you back the empties so you will know what to get for next time...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Wine help by labradors (Zin can be pretty po...)
Thanks for the encouragement, Bill. I came SO close to getting a chianti...I like it, but was not sure it would go. I probably stood there for 30 minutes trying to decide and recalling everything you guys have ever said about wines and wineries. Sadly, I have never seeen any of the ones you guys mention. Maybe when I get to the wine shop that offers classes. The martinis are noted and I KNOW I won't have to twist William's arm...LOL!

Labs, I looked at the Shiraz, but I was not sure about how well it would go over. The two I chose, I know we have liked...I'll have to let you know about the labels...like I would know the difference...LOL! I have a Barefoot Sauvignon Blanc in the fridge, so I plan to see if I can taste the difference.

I have a leftover school notebook in the storage/laundry room. I think it's PAST time I got it out and start recording dinners (and now wines) for future reference.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Wine help by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks for the encou...)
Hey, LJ, you check that mail box daily...ya' here...LOL!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Wine help by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks for the encou...)
The Barefoot is good--sorry, I don't like any Yellowtails--they are too sweet, among other things--
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Wine help by Old Bay (The Barefoot is good...)
I'm with you Bill, I have not really cared for any of the Yellowtail I have had. My part-time neighbors LOVE it, so I have a glass when we go over to be cordial. I figured it was the type they served, but I have always been hesitant to buy it. I have liked all the Barefoot I've tried. Now that I think about it, I also have a Barefoot Zin in the pantry I can compare also.

I'm really looking forward to the experimentation. That being said, don't look for my review until Wednesday...LOL!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Wine help by Old Bay (The Barefoot is good...)
But it is a holiday on Tuesday so why don't you just drop it off. I am thinking a bottle of wine might be good for tonight into Tuesday...I am not scheduled but the only two people scheduled in the kitchen have zero banquet experience and have a luncheon to do plated for noon. I am tempted to stay home since we are in the midst of our first true ice storm of the year that is supposed to run through Tuesday evening and then become a mix of rain and snow for the next couple of days...

Wonder if the Hotel GM and the Sales Manager would figure out that they don't really know how my kitchen operates if I were to stay home enjoy some wine and let them fall on their faces??? So tempting...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Wine help by firechef (But it is a holiday ...)
Like you would!

I have SO enjoyed my four day weekend so far! A sad testiment to my frame of mind, the highlight so far has been my shopping trip to a REAL grocery store tonight!
Daphne