Another yummy dessert...
  Re: (...)
While checking out www.theworldwidegourmet.com I found this gem with all sorts of Chef notes and wine pairings...what do you all think???

Chocolate and Banana Sponge Roll

Chef's Note
This classic of Spanish pastry, called brazo de gitano, consists of a rolled thin biscuit, a kind of sponge cake, filled with cream. In this variation, chocolate biscuit is used, an ingredient which pairs perfectly with the filling of Canary Island banana: a delicious medium-sized fruit with yellow skin flecked with dark spots. Picked when ripe - that is, whole and yellow - it is unrivalled by its larger cousins from other regions.

Ingredients for 6-8 servings

Sponge
- 4 Eggs
- 100 g (1/2 cup) sugar
- 100 g (3 1/2 oz., about 1 cup) flour
- 50 g (2 oz.) bitter Cocoa powder
- Lemon zest
Filling
- 4 Bananas
- 250 ml (1 cup) heavy cream, whipped
- Lemon juice
- Fondant Chocolate, chopped
Garnish
- Icing sugar
- Grated fondant chocolate

Method

Making the sponge

1. Using an electric mixer, beat the whole eggs with the sugar and lemon zest until thick and foamy. Remove the beaters and, by hand, fold in the flour sifted together with the cocoa.
2. Spread the batter on a baking sheet covered with greased and floured paper, and bake in a 175° C (350° F) oven for 7-8 minutes.
3. Carefully turn the hot cake over onto a damp kitchen towel, sprinkle with sugar and then roll it up to give it its shape.
4. When cooled, unroll, fill with the cream filling (below), and roll up again.
5. Cut the ends on the diagonal, sprinkle with icing sugar and serve with grated chocolate.

Making the filling

1. Crush the bananas with the lemon juice and fold into the whipped cream along with the small pieces of chocolate.

Sommelier
Chocolate - difficult to pair with wine - and the perfumed ripe banana demand a wine with character such as a red D.O. Jumilla made from the Monastrell grape, with notes of raisins, jam and dried fruit, which contrast with the dry tannins to avoid a sickly sensation.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Another yummy dessert... by firechef (While checking out [...)
For me, bananas are good for only two things...banana sandwiches and banana pudding. Sorry!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Another yummy dessert... by Gourmet_Mom (For me, bananas are ...)
Don't forget the banana pancakes! YUM!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Another yummy dessert... by labradors (Don't forget the ban...)
Chocolate and bananas go together like Dr. Pepper and Doritos, cold pizza and warm beer, Jolt and M&Ms, RC Cola and Moon Pies...well you get the idea, they were meant for one another!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Another yummy dessert... by firechef (Chocolate and banana...)
Gee, LJ, there's an idea: instead of using regular pancake syrup on my banana pancakes, maybe I'll try some chocolate syrup!
  Re: Re: Another yummy dessert... by labradors (Gee, LJ, there's an ...)
And a scoop of vanilla ice cream in place of butter...should put the blood sugar through the roof!
  Re: Re: Another yummy dessert... by firechef (And a scoop of vanil...)
There ya go!
  Re: Re: Another yummy dessert... by labradors (There ya go!...)
Used to go to a place in Southern Quebec that served chocolate chip pancakes with chocolate syrup and vanilla ice cream, apple cinnamon pancakes with a cinnamon ice cream and caramel sauce...you get the idea. I can almost see the waitstaff and smell the sweetness and hear the broken English and French...man I miss the place.