Another recipe from Roberto
  Re: (...)
I finally found this while packing. Oh my these were so good. I haven't made them in a long time and look forward to asparagus season (or a good sale price) so I can make them again! Nice memories!

Sparagio Fritzi (Fried Asparagus)

1 bundle fresh asparagus
10 slices prosciutto
grated Parmesan
2 cloves of garlic c minced
salt & pepper
Seasoned bread crumbs
2 eggs beaten
olive oil for frying

Wash the Asparagus, trim the tough ends then parboil for about 10 minutes drain, cool and chop coarsley. Chop the prosciutto into small pieces Combine the chopped asparagus,
ham, garlic, good shot of Parmesan, eggs, salt & pepper, mix well and form into patties about the size of a hamburger.
Put your breadcrumbs in a dish and gently place the patties
in the crumbs and spoon crumbs over to coat and pat gently to make it stick. Fry in hot olive oil till golden ﷓ season with a little more S&P and serve hot.

Mom used to put a few drops of vinegar on hers ﷓ I prefered a little tobasco sauce ﷓ I could never get Grandma to add crushed red pepper to the patties Wats a matta you? you father won'ta mangiarre it if it'sa too spicy!"

Hope this may be close to what you remember. If not, give it a go anyway these are wonderful.

Roberto

11/13/2004 6:22 PM
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Another recipe from Roberto by Harborwitch (I finally found this...)
Ah, if only Roberto were around these days. I spent the good part of a day looking for his posts on that other site, just to read more of his stories.
This sounds really good, but I am having a hard time picturing the mixture forming a patty. Does it really hold?
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Another recipe from Roberto by chef_Tab (Ah, if only Roberto ...)
Boy, does this sound yummy! I'm curious about the patties holding myself.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Another recipe from Roberto by chef_Tab (Ah, if only Roberto ...)
Theresa I made them with thawed frozen asparagus and had some trouble with them "weeping". I think with fresh it will work better. The flavor was incredible - and they are worth playing with.

Hmmmmmm - mind just clicked on combining this somehow with arancini????? Might have to play with that!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Another recipe from Roberto by Harborwitch (Theresa I made them ...)
Sounds good - not sure the amount of ham, if it's ground it would act as a binder...if minced, hmmmmm.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Another recipe from Roberto by cjs (Sounds good - not su...)
This reminds me of a topping my Nana would fry for over the asparagus. She wouldn't cut up asparagus, always served it long and elegant looking. Maybe her topping didn't have the eggs in it, I'm not sure.

Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Another recipe from Roberto by farnfam (This reminds me of a...)
Hey, I like the topping idea. I still can't wrap my mind around the patties. I have enough trouble holding crabcakes together.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!