Still awaiting sourdough answer
  Re: (...)
Now that the starter is sitting there, and ready for the next step (actually 18 hours PAST ready), everyone has just stopped answering my questions and left me hanging here. I need to know the answer to the first of these questions before I will be able to continue with the sourdough, and to the second before I can make the bread.

Please answer these soon, so I'm not just letting this stuff sit there.

1. In the instructions for "a better sourdough flavour," if one is only taking out one teaspoon of that starter in order to add additional water, flour, and sugar to it, what becomes of the rest of that starter? Just use it for bread or take out additional teaspoons of it for remixing (effectively and greatly multiplying the final yield?
2. When it finally becomes time to use the starter for bread, the instructions say to "replace the amount you take out with equal parts warm water and flour," etc. Let's say the bread recipe calls for one cup of starter. Does one replace it with ONE cup of flour and ONE cup of water, or HALF a cup of flour and HALF a cup of water?

Thanks!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Still awaiting sourdough answer by labradors (Now that the starter...)
I'm not ignoring you .

The first question confuses me. Take out a teaspoonfull??? Is it saying to do that and add more flour water and sugar to that??????

Perhaps I've been doing it wrong all these years - once my starter is bubbly and smelling wonderful I feed it (flour, water, and a bit of sugar), let it go overnight and then take out what I need to make whatever I'm making. Then I mix in equal parts water and flour to replace the volume I took out. I normally kept about 6 cups of starter going. In the summer I usually keep it in the fridge unless I'm using it every day. In the winter I keep it out - cooler in the house and I bake more often.

Hopefully that's info you needed. After we get moved I'll find my sourdough cookbook and get some more info for you.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Still awaiting sourdough answer by Harborwitch (I'm not ignoring you...)
Quote:

I'm not ignoring you .

Thanks.
Quote:

The first question confuses me. Take out a teaspoonfull??? Is it saying to do that and add more flour water and sugar to that??????

It was confusing to me, too, but that's what the instructions say, and why I asked the question.
Quote:

Perhaps I've been doing it wrong all these years - once my starter is bubbly and smelling wonderful I feed it (flour, water, and a bit of sugar), let it go overnight and then take out what I need to make whatever I'm making. Then I mix in equal parts water and flour to replace the volume I took out.

That would seem to answer the second question. Now I just need to clarify the first question (which is not about taking any out for use, but the extra steps for improving the flavour), since that is the point at which the starter and I are currently waiting.

Thanks.
  Re: Re: Still awaiting sourdough answer by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I've been mulling this as I putter around putting stuff in boxes.

I think (maybe) the first instruction is to take out a teaspoon of the starter and combine that with more flour, water, and sugar - then to let that do it's thing and either use the remainder or toss it.

Someone? Anyone?
  Re: Re: Still awaiting sourdough answer by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
If I were doing this recipe, I would take out a teaspoon of the starter and add the flour and water it calls for. This will make a new batch of starter. I'd use the original batch of starter in the bread recipe rather than throwing it out. When the new starter is ready, I'd then use that in a new batch of bread. That way you could compare the taste of the bread with the original starter and the new starter and see if it is worth the additional fermentation.

Hope that made sense. Would just be how I would do it.
Shannon
  Re: Re: Still awaiting sourdough answer by Dismc (If I were doing this...)
Thanks, Sharon and Dis. What you have said has confirmed what I thought, but I wanted to be sure before messing it up and having to start from square one, again.

Thanks again!
  Re: Re: Still awaiting sourdough answer by labradors (Thanks, Sharon and D...)
Good luck! Sourdough is so much fun. I woke up one morning and found mine had crawled out of the crock, up the backsplash, and was taking over the windowsill! Thought I was going to have to get a whip and chair to get it back in the crock. What a mess!
  Re: Re: Still awaiting sourdough answer by Harborwitch (Good luck! Sourdoug...)
Well, too late. I guess the extra day was problematic: now there's mould around the inside of the container. Looks like I'll have to start all over again.

Maybe not...I've done some looking on the Internet, and some instructions say to throw it out, while others say to use some of the starter that's on the bottom (since the mould is only on the inside of the jar, and above the "hooch." Still searching, to be sure.
  Re: Re: Still awaiting sourdough answer by labradors (Well, too late. I g...)
Oh pooooo! If it were me. . . . I might be tempted to try to get some out without the mold and start that. A big 'might', but the temptation would be there. Did you cover your starter? Tightly or loosely????? I usually don't cover mine tightly when it's out on the counter.
  Re: Re: Still awaiting sourdough answer by Harborwitch (Oh pooooo! If it we...)
Quote:

Did you cover your starter? Tightly or loosely?????

Just followed the instructions: "Put the starter in a glass jar with a lid, and punch holes in the lid," except I punched the holes in the lid before putting the starter into the jar.