Gooey Butter Cake!!HELP
  Re: (...)
Hello,
In a late 2002 issue Cuisine posted a Great reciepe for Gooey Butter Cake. I have lost this and would really like it. If any one has it please let me know, you can also email it to me..
Thank you in Advanced.
  Re: Gooey Butter Cake!!HELP by jamesmck123 (Hello, [br]In a late...)
Hello, James, and welcome to the forum. Someone probably has the recipe, and will probably post it soon, but I wanted to welcome you, and to advise you (if it's still possible) to edit your message to take out your email address. In general, it is NEVER a good idea to post one's email address in ANY forum - not because of the forum users, but because there are automated search programs that spammers use to dig through forum sites for email addresses to which they can send their garbage.

If the forum no longer allows you to edit your message, try posting a PM to the user "Brian" (one of the moderators) to see if he can edit the address out of the message for you.

Back to the cake... I, too, would like to see this recipe, since it sounds as though it could be much like a Moravian Cake for which I have sought a recipe for a long time.

Welcome, again!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Gooey Butter Cake!!HELP by labradors (Hello, James, and we...)
Is this what you meant?

Gooey Butter Cake
(Cuisine, December 1999, Issue 18, p. 20)
Makes: Two 9” Square Cakes - 18 Servings Total Time: 1 1/2 Hours + Overnight Set-Up Rating: Intermediate

For the Butter Cake Crust—
Dissolve:
6 T. warm water (105–115°)
1 T. active dry yeast

Combine:
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
3 T. sugar
3 T. nonfat dry milk
1/4 t. salt

Add:
Yeast mixture
1 egg

Mix in:
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

Roll Dough, Fill Crust With:
Gooey Filling

For the Gooey Filling—
Whisk Together:
2 T. evaporated milk
4 t. sugar
1 T. vanilla extract
1/8 t. almond extract

Cream:
2 2/3 cups sugar
19 T. unsalted butter, softened
1/4 t. salt

Mix:
1/2 cup cornstarch
2 eggs

Mix in:
1 cup + 2 T. all-purpose flour

Add:
Prepared milk mixture

Pour into Crusts, Sprinkle with:
1 T. powdered sugar

Bake; Cool and Remove from Pan. Sprinkle with 1 T. Powdered Sugar.

Dissolve yeast in a small bowl by sprinkling yeast over warm water; whisk until dissolved. Let stand 5–10 minutes, until it activates (bubbles). If it does not bubble, start over with fresh yeast.

Combine shortening, sugar, dry milk, and salt in a large bowl while yeast is standing. Mix with an electric hand mixer on low, for about one minute. Mixture will be crumbly.

Add the yeast mixture and mix, scraping the bowl. Now mix in the egg. Does it look a little lumpy? That’s okay. It will all come together when you add the flour.

Mix in flour until it reaches a sticky dough consistency (about 30 seconds). Scrape the sticky dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Now it’s time to knead. Fold dough in half toward you. With heel of hand, push dough down and away. Give it a quarter turn; fold and push again. Dust flour on surface sparingly. Knead 10 minutes. Let dough rest for 10 minutes. (Use the time to start on the filling.) Now divide in half. Form halves into rounds by gently tucking under edges. Let these rounds rest 10 minutes.

Roll an even crust by rolling dough from the center outward. Roll alternately to the sides and corners. Continue rolling in all directions until you have approximately an 11" square. “Air out” the dough by gently lifting entire piece and laying back down. Now lightly roll dough to 11" square again. This helps prevent the dough from shrinking when laid in pan. Spray two 9" square pans (not dark nonstick pans—the crust will overbrown) with cooking spray. Lift dough, place in pan; press about 1" up sides of pan. Trim excess dough. Repeat process with second half of dough. Let dough rest in the pans for 10 minutes. To keep crust from bubbling up, “dock” dough by poking holes in it with a fork. Start on the filling while your dough is resting.

Whisk together evaporated milk, sugar, vanilla, and almond extract in a small bowl. Set aside. Preheat oven to 375°.

Cream sugar, butter, and salt with an electric mixer in a larger bowl.

Mix cornstarch and eggs in a smaller bowl until smooth. Be sure to scrape sides and bottom of bowls. Add the cornstarch mixture to creamed butter and sugar. Mix on medium speed until combined.

Mix flour in until combined, scraping the sides of the bowl.

Add the milk mixture that you have set aside. Mix until combined, scraping the bowl as you go. The batter will be thick and stiff—a lot like cookie dough.

Pour and divide filling between the two prepared pans and spread evenly. Sprinkle powdered sugar over the top. Don’t bother to sift it; small chunks of powdered sugar are fine.

Bake cakes on center rack of oven for 20–25 minutes. A thin shell forms on the top, but the goo underneath won’t be firm. Cake is done when top is light golden brown.Cool cakes for 30 minutes in pans on cooling rack. To remove cake, run knife around edge of pan. Place rack over top of cake. Now flip it over and lift off the pan. Invert by placing plate over the cake bottom. Flip again and lift off rack. Sprinkle with another tablespoon of powdered sugar. Fully cool; cover with plastic. Let sit overnight.

Be sure to "air out" the dough as you roll. This will help keep it from shrinking when laid in the pan.
Press the dough an inch up the sides of the pan. Trim and excess dough.
Dock the dough with tines of a fork to prevent bubbles from popping up during baking.

After it's baked, it needs to sit overnight so the butter has a chance to set up. The cake tastes even better, and it won't goo everywhere when you cut into it.

Nutrition Information (Per serving):
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Gooey Butter Cake!!HELP by farnfam (Is this what you mea...)
OMG yes thank you so much.

I guess i was a year off on the issue.
  Re: Re: Gooey Butter Cake!!HELP by jamesmck123 (OMG yes thank you so...)
Welcome jamesmck123! So, have you made this. I was a little confused. Do you stack the "cakes" or serve them separately? I THINK I read this carefully, but one never knows....LOL!

I hope you will visit us again! Better yet, hang around and join in as a regular. We LOVE new members.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Gooey Butter Cake!!HELP by Gourmet_Mom (Welcome jamesmck123!...)
Has anyone out there made this? Kind of sounds like pecan pie without the pecans!
  Re: Re: Gooey Butter Cake!!HELP by iBcookin (Has anyone out there...)
THis is a photo of Gooey Butter Cake. This cake consists of a dry, flat base covered with a "goo" mixture. It is sticky and chewy and very delicious. This ultra-sweet treat is a St. Louis tradition and available in local bakeries all around the city of St. Louis. The original cakes are made with a yeast raised sweet dough on the bottom, but now days most recipes use a cake on the bottom. It is generally served as a type of coffee cake and not as a dessert cake.

The Gooey Butter Cake originated in the 1930s. According to legend, a German baker added the wrong proportions of ingredients in the coffee cake batter he was making. It turned into a gooey, pudding-like filling. (excerpted from a blog)

[Image: GooeyButterCake.jpg]
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Gooey Butter Cake!!HELP by iBcookin (Has anyone out there...)
Well, this could be interesting, but it definitely not the Moravian Cake for which I had hoped.

Glad it's the right one for James, though.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Gooey Butter Cake!!HELP by labradors (Well, this could be ...)
Almost makes your teeth curl to read this! Welcome to you, James.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Gooey Butter Cake!!HELP by labradors (Well, this could be ...)
Labs, could this be like the recipe you are looking for?

Moravian Sugar Cake

¾ cup milk, heated to 110 degrees
1 ½ teaspoons rapid-rise or instant yeast
1/3 cup granulated sugar
¼ cup instant potato flakes, not granules
½ teaspoon salt
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened; plus 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into ½
pieces and chilled
1 large egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ cups packed light brown sugar
1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 200 degrees. Maintain temperature for 10 minutes, then turn off oven. Grease medium bowl and 13 x 9 inch Pyrex pan.

2. Stir milk and yeast together until yeast is dissolved. In bowl of standing mixer fitted with paddle attachment, mix yeast mixture, granulated sugar, potato flakes, salt, softened butter, egg and flour on medium speed until smooth and shiny, about 2 minutes. Transfer dough to prepared bowl, cover with plastic, and place in warm oven. Let rise until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.

3. Press dough into prepared pan in an even layer. Cover pan with plastic and place in warm oven. Let rise until doubled in size, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, using your fingers, work the chilled butter into the brown sugar and cinnamon until the mixture resembles coarse meal.

4. Remove pan from oven and heat oven to 375 degrees/ Using floured fingertips, make shallow indentations over the entire surface of the risen dough. Evenly sprinkle the brown sugar mixture over the indented dough. Once the oven is fully heated, bake until topping is bubbling and deep brown, 18 to 22 minutes. Let cool 30 minutes. Serve.

(Cooled cake can be wrapped with plastic and stored at room temperature for up to 2 days)

Make Ahead: After pressing dough into baking pan and covering, dough can be refrigerated for up to 24 hours. When ready to bake, let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before proceeding with step 4.

December/January 2008 Cook’s Country Lost Recipes
Shannon