PORK-STUFFED POBLANOS for Vicci
  Re: (...)
I screwed up my search for the thread this is posted in, so instead of waiting - my middle name is not patience - I'll just post it again. This is so good! it's a old BH&G recipe, I think.

When we (a lot of us) were making this dish a couple of years ago, we were putting the walnut sauce on everything!

PORK-STUFFED POBLANOS

8 large poblano chile peppers
1 pound ground pork
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
2 large tomatoes, chopped
1 small apple, chopped
1/3 cup raisins
1/3 cup diced almonds, toasted
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup tomato sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
Walnut Cream Sauce
Garnish: cinnamon sticks

Broil Chile peppers on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet 5 inches from heat about 5 minutes on each side or until peppers look blistered.
Place Chile peppers in a heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag; seal and let stand 10 minutes to loosen skins. Peel peppers. Gently split Chile peppers open lengthwise, keeping stems intact; remove and discard seeds. Set aside.

Cook pork in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until it crumbles and is no longer pink. Add chopped onion and next 4 ingredients; cook, stirring often, 7 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in tomato and next 4 ingredients. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in 1 teaspoon salt

Stir together tomato sauce and next 3 ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat 5 minutes.

Spoon about 1/2 cup pork mixture into each pepper, and place in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Pour tomato sauce mixture over peppers.
Bake, covered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Top with Walnut Cream Sauce. Garnish, if desired, and serve over Cinnamon Rice Pilaf.
Yield: Makes 8 servings

Walnut Cream Sauce

1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt

Process all ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides.

Yield: Makes 1 1/2 cups
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: PORK-STUFFED POBLANOS for Vicci by cjs (I screwed up my sear...)
Quote:

Vicci, nothing! I'll be trying this one!!! Not right away - maybe after Thanksgiving, but I have definitely saved it! Wow!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: PORK-STUFFED POBLANOS for Vicci by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
It is so good!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: PORK-STUFFED POBLANOS for Vicci by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Quote:

[blockquote]Quote:

Vicci, nothing!

[/blockquote]

Hey, it's really sad to see that in print!!!

Jean, these sound so very good, thank you so much for taking the time to post it! Two questions:

One, DH and I don't eat red meat, so do you think that ground turkey, plus some spices perhaps, may work instead of the pork?

Two, we have a vegetarian friend and I was thinking that perhaps, instead of any kind of meat, I could add cheese before stuffing the peppers. Think it would work?

That walnut cream sauce... mmmmmmmmmmmm!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: PORK-STUFFED POBLANOS for Vicci by foodfiend ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
don't see why you couldn't do either/or of the substitutions you mentioned. With ground turkey, I don't think you'd need anymore spicing/flavoring up, there is plenty of flavor in the dish. have fun with it.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: PORK-STUFFED POBLANOS for Vicci by cjs (don't see why you co...)
Thanks, Jean. It's good to know that I don't have to do anything "to" the ground turkey. That recipe looks just amazing and I am looking forward to making it, probably next week.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com