Dinner for T.G.I.F. - Nov. 14th?
  Re: (...)
What's everyone up to?

We went to a wonderful wine maker's dinner last night at a local (wonderful) restaurant - the only picture I took was of dessert and what a dessert it was!

Individual Bittersweet Chocolate Decadence Cake with Cappuccino Macadamia Nut Double Chocolate Ice Cream...whew!
[Image: CIMG2224-1.jpg]

This dessert was really good!

But, what really surprised me was the salad course -
Minted Blood Orange Segments with Julienne of Red onions, Watercress Mixed Greens salad with a Orange Soy-Rice Wine Vinaigrette. The salad was really nothing outstanding, but the wine they chose to match was absolutely perfect. A '01 Cabernet Sauvignon - I never would have paired this together, but boy did it work!

Fun Dinner.

Now it's back to meat and tatoes...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Dinner for T.G.I.F. - Nov. 14th? by cjs (What's everyone up t...)
The salad sounds wonderful. I am so getting a blood orange tree! The cab with it is a little surprising - but it does sound good.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Dinner for T.G.I.F. - Nov. 14th? by Harborwitch (The salad sounds won...)
It seems I've been inspired by the previous thread called "Yummy". So for appy's we're having homemade pretzels with a wasabi/mustard/raspberry dipping sauce. Black Forest beer, stuffed cabbage rolls (we call them "galumpies" I have no idea why)with the brown sugar sauce, and buttered noodles with parsley. Seems very German to me, so I'm going to get one of those barmaid blouses to wear for serving James tonite

Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Dinner for T.G.I.F. - Nov. 14th? by farnfam (It seems I've been i...)
Quote:

...stuffed cabbage rolls (we call them "galumpies" I have no idea why)

That's their name: Galumpkies.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Dinner for T.G.I.F. - Nov. 14th? by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I have the night off from cooking as my husband and son are abandoning me for a hockey game. I'll probably just bake a piece of salmon and a potato and call it good.
  Re: Re: Dinner for T.G.I.F. - Nov. 14th? by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Niçoise salad from Cooking for Two - then off to the Basketball Home Opening game.
  Re: Re: Dinner for T.G.I.F. - Nov. 14th? by HomeCulinarian (Niçoise salad from C...)
Oyster Mushroom Chowder
Serves 4 as a first course

Ingredients:
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 pound oyster mushrooms, coarsely chopped
  • 1/2 cup minced onions
  • 1 cup cubed peeled potatoes
  • 2 cups milk, scalded
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Dash of ground mace
  • Dash of Tabasco sauce
  • Pinch of dried thyme
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1/4 cup dry sherry
  • 1 cup half and half
  • Bread cubes browned in butter and drained well
  • Minced fresh parsley
Instructions:
  1. Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large saucepan.
  2. Add the mushrooms and onions, and cook for 3 minutes or until tender.
  3. Remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm.
  4. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons butter to the pan and slowly cook the potato cubes for 10 minutes or until tender.
  5. Gradually stir in the milk.
  6. Add the salt, pepper, mace, Tabasco, and thyme.
  7. Allow this to come to a boil, then remove the pan from the heat.
  8. In a mixing bowl, combine the egg yolks, sherry, and half and half and slowly blend the mixture into the chowder.
  9. Add the onions and mushrooms and heat almost, but not quite, to a boil.
  10. Taste to correct the flavoring.
  11. Serve at once in soup plates. Float the bread cubes in the soup and sprinkle with parsley.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Dinner for T.G.I.F. - Nov. 14th? by labradors ([b]Oyster Mushroom C...)
Sounds good Rob.
Btw, I looked up Galumpkies and it says it's Polish. So, now I have to get a different blouse but I like the German Barmaid outfit.

Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Dinner for T.G.I.F. - Nov. 14th? by farnfam (It seems I've been i...)
"stuffed cabbage rolls (we call them "galumpies" I have no idea why)"

I have a lot of Polish friends and that is what they call stuffed cabbage rolls.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Dinner for T.G.I.F. - Nov. 14th? by chef_Tab ("stuffed cabbage rol...)
And I've never even had stuffed cabbage rolls. HMMMM?

I'm taking a break tonight and having more "apperteasies", steak, baked potato and simple salad.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.