Bite size Desert Help
  Re: (...)
Ok so I have a cocktail party to go tomorrow night. I don't bake...well unless you count that yellow tube of cookie dough in my fridge.

Everyone is bringing savory bites. So I thought I'd bring something sweet.

I need it simple and with pow I have zero inspiration when it comes to desserts. Help!
  Re: Bite size Desert Help by DFen911 (Ok so I have a cockt...)
Here are four ideas -

Lemon Cake Bites - Back page Issue 51 June '05

The coconut cupcakes with white chocolate cream cheese frosting Or the carrot cake cupcakes with pineapple cream cheese frosting- Issue 50 April '05 (Make in mini muffin tins - just a bite!)

The Lemon Tartlets with coconut Crusts made in smaller tart pans or mini muffin cups - Issue 32 - April 02

Any fruit tart made in small tart pans - just a bite or two!

Ok - here is another one - chocolate truffles Back page - issue 31 Feb 02

OK - and another one - the new issue - Dec 08 has the Gingerbread Pumpkin pie Mini sized - side bar page 17.

Also Dec ' 08 page 24, Lemon mini muffins with lime-scented sugar. Can you tell we are lemon fans??
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Bite size Desert Help by esgunn (Here are four ideas ...)
As much as I love lemon, I'll just offer something VERY simple. It may seem prosaic, but it's always a big hit.

Tiger Butter

Ingredients:
  • 1 Lb White chocolate
  • 1 Jar (12 Oz.) Peanut butter (your option of smooth or chunky - I prefer smooth)
  • 1 Lb Semisweet chocolate
Instructions
  1. Line a cookie sheet with wax paper, including on the sides.
  2. In a double boiler, melt together the white chocolate and the peanut butter, mixing well.
  3. Pour the mixture into the prepared cookie sheet, spreading it evenly to cover the sheet completely.
  4. In a clean double boiler (if you don't have another one, and have to clean out the first one, be sure it is completely dry), melt the semisweet chocolate.
  5. Pour the melted chocolate into the prepared cookie sheet, on top of the white-chocolate mixture in a swirly line (i.e. not just all in the middle).
  6. Using the flat side (i.e. widest part) of a regular table knife (one that is relatively wide, instead of something that comes to a shard point at the end), swirl the semisweet chocolate into the white-chocolate mixture, creating "tiger stripes," and not just making it completely blended.
  7. Place the cookie sheet into the refrigerator until the mixture has hardened.
  8. Remove from the refrigerator, lift the mixture out of the cookie sheet using the edges of the wax paper, then peel off and discard the wax paper.
  9. Using a sharp knife, cut the "Tiger Butter" into whatever-sized pieces you like, and store or transport in a wax-paper-line container with wax paper between each layer. It may also be broken, instead of cut (as with peanut brittle), but the evenly cut pieces are usually better for taking this to parties, etc.
ENJOY!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Bite size Desert Help by labradors (As much as I love le...)
I like getting those mini chocolate cups and filling them with chocolate mousse that has chambord mixed in then top with a rasberry. They look so elegant and taste fabulous.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Bite size Desert Help by chef_Tab (I like getting those...)
Denise, I didn't know you felt the same as I do about pastry/baking!! These all sound like great ideas for you.

one more idea, what about miniature bisotti? hmmm, hadn't thot of this before, maybe I'll have to try them - would be great for a winery party.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Bite size Desert Help by chef_Tab (I like getting those...)
Quote:

I like getting those mini chocolate cups and filling them with chocolate mousse that has chambord mixed in then top with a rasberry. They look so elegant and taste fabulous.

This sounds amazing. Thanks Theresa!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Bite size Desert Help by Mare749 ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
That little picture of Charlie always brings a smile to my face, Maryanne!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Bite size Desert Help by chef_Tab (That little picture ...)
Thank you guys! I'm doing the lemon cake bites and the tiger butter Labs on the tiger butter is it soft enough to cut with say cutters instead of a knife?

I cannot tell you how much I love this board the support we all have.
  Re: Re: Bite size Desert Help by cjs (Denise, I didn't kno...)
" Denise, I didn't know you felt the same as I do about pastry/baking! "

Me neither. For some reason, I thought you liked it!

I know I'm late, but profiteroles are easy, and if made small, a batch goes a loooong way. The fillings are endless, and can be really easy. A bit of whipped cream, mashed berries, dulce de leche, bought jam melted with a bit of liquer, ice cream and chocolate sauce or Jean's caramel sauce. And, they transport easily. Good luck and have fun (well, as fun as baking can be).
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Bite size Desert Help by DFen911 (Thank you guys! I'm ...)
thought I would add this one too ! good sweet savory cookie

Rosemary butter cookie - 5 dozen

1 cup unsalted butter - softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 Tsp pure vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups sifted all purpose flour
1 Tbs chopped fresh rosemary - fine chop
3/4 Tsp Salt
1/2 cup fine sanding sugar

Put butter and sugar in bowl of electric mixer, mix on medium speed till light and fluffy (2 minutes. Mix in egg and vanilla. Add flour, rosemary, and salt: mix on low speed till incorporated. Divide dough in half, shape each piece into a log. Place each log on a 12/16 sheet of parchment. Roll in parchment to 1 1/2 inches in diameter, pressing a ruler along edge of parchment at each turn to narrow log and force out air. Freeze for 1 hour
Preheat oven 375. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll logs in sanding sugar, slice 1/4 inch thick
Arrange 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheet. Bake until edges are golden 18 to 20 minutes transfer to wire rach and let cool
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.