Saturday 11/15 Dinner?
  Re: (...)
I am torn. I have wanted to make the Chicken Cacciatore Soup with Parmesan Polenta (which would probably be better tomorrow when the cold weather arrives), but I just finished The Apprentice and love the idea of making the simple Onion Soup Gratinee, J. Pepin describes in the book with maybe a simple roasted chicken. Since the cold air has yet to show up there's also Giobbi's Primavera Pasta....decisions, decisions.

What are you guys planning?

BTW, I'd love for someone to explain how to put the accent marks on some of these words.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Saturday 11/15 Dinner? by Gourmet_Mom (I am torn. I have w...)
I'm going to do the "slightly fancy pants" King Ranch Chicken. I hope so anyway. With all these fires there are a lot of rolling blackouts because a lot of transformers have blown.

I feel so bad for all that have lost their homes.
  Re: Re: Saturday 11/15 Dinner? by Trixxee (I'm going to do the ...)
I am fresh out of ideas. I am hoping someone will inspire me. So far the chicken cacciatore soup has my attention. It is definitely cold enough here. I saw flurries this morning. yuk. How many days till spring? At least I can look forward to a respite in Florida for Thanksgiving.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Saturday 11/15 Dinner? by Trixxee (I'm going to do the ...)
Wow, Trixxee, I thought you said you weren't close. I guess you meant not in the line of the fires, but still affected. If I were you, I'd have a backup plan. If you get the dish ready for the oven, but loose power, it should hold over in the fridge until tomorrow easily.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Saturday 11/15 Dinner? by Gourmet_Mom (Wow, Trixxee, I thou...)
Theresa, William has picked the Chicken Cacciatore Soup with Parmesan Polenta for tonight, so the Onion Soup Gratinee is on for tomorrow night. Since I've been wanting to make bread for the past two weekends, and keep forgetting to get it started Friday night, this will actually work better. This way I'll be able to use my own bread for the crouton.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Saturday 11/15 Dinner? by Gourmet_Mom (Theresa, William has...)
where is the chicken cacciatore soup? I just looked through the soups and stews book and did not see it?
Theresa

Re: Re: Saturday 11/15 Dinner? by chef_Tab (where is the chicken...)
Here's the thread where it's posted:

Chicken Cacciatore Soup with Parmesan Polenta
Daphne
  Re: Re: Saturday 11/15 Dinner? by Gourmet_Mom (Here's the thread wh...)
Thanks, Daphne! Now I remember it. Funny I searched it and got no matches. maybe I spelled it wrong. I am having one of those days. Should have stayed in bed.
Theresa

Re: Re: Saturday 11/15 Dinner? by Gourmet_Mom (Wow, Trixxee, I thou...)
Quote:

Wow, Trixxee, I thought you said you weren't close. I guess you meant not in the line of the fires, but still affected. If I were you, I'd have a backup plan. If you get the dish ready for the oven, but loose power, it should hold over in the fridge until tomorrow easily.

Unfortunately 2 fires about 8 miles away from us have popped up. Quickly turning into a disaster. Ahnold has declared a state of emergency. There's one town east of LA that has lost 600 homes. Mobile homes, but homes none the less. The fire was so hot it was melting the fire hoses.

We can also grill the chicken outside if we lost power. But I'm also worried about the A/C. It's like a furnace outside!
  Re: Re: Saturday 11/15 Dinner? by chef_Tab (Thanks, Daphne! Now ...)
Gosh, I just reread the Friday dinner thread and now those "galumpkies" or whatever they are, are calling to me. Maybe that is what I will make. I really just feel like snugging in bed and sleeping. In my dreams, I would make mac and cheese, but there's the cholesterol thing. Oh pooh.
Theresa