Kinda OT...
  Re: (...)
Well a bunch of cooking related news to share...

Our last home football game was Saturday (we lost BIG TIME) but in sub-freezing weather with only Peppermint Schnapps laced Hot Chocolate and a parking lot neighbor's home brewed beer to keep warm we took the Cattleman's Association win for best beef tailgating once again for steak sandwiches made from a whole strip!

On a more serious note I have been asked to compete in the Iowa Pork Producers 2009 Taste of Elegance Competition!!! This will be a return trip and this time I will have the backing of my employer and a Sous or two to assist in Des Moines at the Downtown Marriott on January 26, 2009.

I am thinking of doing a '60s/'70s/early '80s "theme" of pork use by replacing the "popular" dishes of those days proteins with PORK! Thinking of an appetizer of Pork Pate or using pork liver for a play on Fois...maybe a pork Marsala and a primary main of a play on Filet de Boeuf en Croûte with pork replacing the beef. Having been there once before I know what I am getting into this time!

I'll keep everyone posted as it gets closer and as the final menu is ready to go!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Kinda OT... by firechef (Well a bunch of cook...)
Sounds interesting. Be careful not to go TOO far back into the 60s, or you may wind up with pork aspic, which probably wouldn't go over very well, today. LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Kinda OT... by labradors (Sounds interesting. ...)
lJ

Great going - will be watching to see what you decide on

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Kinda OT... by mjkcooking (lJ[br][br]Great goin...)
Congratulations! What an honor. I will look forward to the updates. I think you should send some samples to me to be sure!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Kinda OT... by chef_Tab (Congratulations! Wha...)
Congratulations and it sounds like a lot of fun, LJ. Let's hope your competition isn't lurking around here to learn of your plans!
  Re: Re: Kinda OT... by HomeCulinarian (Congratulations and ...)
Some fun cooking coming up.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Kinda OT... by cjs (Some fun cooking com...)
LJ what a fun time you had and will be having!

I so remember the pork commercials "Pork! The other white meat!" Can't wait to hear what you come up with. If you go 60's..fondu baby! haha
  Re: Kinda OT... by firechef (Well a bunch of cook...)
Good news, LJ! Congrats on your tailgate win. The competition sounds like a fun one! Good luck.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Kinda OT... by pjcooks (Good news, LJ! Congr...)
Congratulations on the Cattleman win! I can't wait to see what you come up with for the Pork competition. I love the en Croûte idea, especially.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Kinda OT... by Gourmet_Mom (Congratulations on t...)
I am going to be playing with pork belly for the "foie" and did find a pork fondue but the practicality for the judges is hard to over come. The belly could also sub for liver in the pate as well. I think I will have this one much better organized than last year. Now my "supervisor" is another issue...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)