Bakeware Questions
  Re: (...)
Hey All,

So Christmas is coming and Santa needs some ideas.

I bake these nuts and give them out to friends and such, but my bake sheets always end up warping. I do use them for other baking, so temperatures vary, but rarely go above 400 degrees.

Okay, I'm cheap and they are, too.

So what oversized cookie sheets do you recommend that won't warp?

Thanks in advance (TIA)

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Bakeware Questions by BarbaraS (Hey All,[br][br]So C...)
I get mine at Sam's Club in a set of two...they're pretty cheap...but very heavy. I've never had one warp. Actually, I'm still using one from my first set from about 10 years ago. Where is the other one from that set do you ask? I sent something home with DD 5 years ago on one. Finally gave up after a year and bought another set...LOL! The only bad part about them, my "stupid oven" does not hold 2 side by side....ARGGG! So I guess, that would be one thing I would recommend you look at.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Bakeware Questions by Gourmet_Mom (I get mine at Sam's ...)
Daphne,

Thanks for the input! I don't belong to a Sam's Club, but we do have friends that will gladly take me in on their membership for a batch of their nuts!

BTW, what color were the pans? Aluminum or other?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Bakeware Questions by Gourmet_Mom (I get mine at Sam's ...)
Just get "half sheets" at a restaurant-supply store. They may not be non-stick, as the department-store variety are, but they are larger than most of those, and it is better to use parchment, instead of non-stick pans, for cookies, anyway. Since they are made of thicker metal (though usually pretty light aluminum), they are less susceptible to warping, etc.

Oh, yeah... they're also usually cheaper, too. Of course, if you have a large-enough oven, you can get the full sheets, but they don't usually fit within most home ovens.

Once you use them, all the expensive, non-stick sheets you have will just start to collect dust, since you'll always want to use the half sheets.

P.S.: Forgot to add: many restaurant-supply stores carry USED half sheets and full sheets for even lower prices, and it's usually not difficult to find some good ones that way, although they just may be somewhat discoloured.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Bakeware Questions by labradors (Just get "half sheet...)
Quote:

Just get "half sheets" at a restaurant-supply store. They may not be non-stick, as the department-store variety are, but they are larger than most of those, and it is better to use parchment, instead of non-stick pans, for cookies, anyway. Since they are made of thicker metal (though usually pretty light aluminum), they are less susceptible to warping, etc.

Oh, yeah... they're also usually cheaper, too. Of course, if you have a large-enough oven, you can get the full sheets, but they don't usually fit within most home ovens.

Once you use them, all the expensive, non-stick sheets you have will just start to collect dust, since you'll always want to use the half sheets.

I didn't even think about restaurant supply since that section has dried up in Philly!! But there's a store in Burlington, NJ, I can go to!

I have a 48" GE Monogram dual/fuel oven so I can go for the biggie baking sheets.

Oh yeah, I'm going to check them out this weekend to let Santa know!! Thanks for the suggestion!! Hee heeeeee!!!

Barbara
  Re: Re: Bakeware Questions by labradors (Just get "half sheet...)
" you can get the full sheets, but they don't usually fit within most home ovens. "

I have just a regular oven, and the full pan fits perfectly. I have 2 of those, and four half sheet pans. They come in handy if you're making anything in quantity. they never warp, even at high temp, and are easy to clean. Good luck!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Bakeware Questions by Lorraine (" you can get the fu...)
Quote:

I have just a regular oven, and the full pan fits perfectly.

Hmmm. Maybe I just grew up and lived in places that only had typical, four-burner, electric ranges with ovens that did not have room to fit 26-inch long pans (since a full sheet is 18x26).

The main thing is: MEASURE your oven. If you can measure 26 inches across the inside of the oven, with still enough room for a full sheet to fit without its running into a funky rack design or the walls of the oven, then, but all means, get full sheets.

Either way, as Lorraine said, they just don't warp, are great to use, and easy to clean.
  Re: Re: Bakeware Questions by BarbaraS ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I'm with Labs and Lorraine here here, I get half and quarter sheets at the rest. supply and have never had a problem with them. Always use parchment so I hardly ever have to wash them. I think the half's were around $8 and the quarters about $6. They don't warp, they cook evenly, and they don't cost a lot.

The problem with visiting rest supply stores is in visiting rest supply stores...you keep finding things you just have to have!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Bakeware Questions by pjcooks (I'm with Labs and Lo...)
Quote:

The problem with visiting rest supply stores is in visiting rest supply stores...you keep finding things you just have to have!

Too true.
  Re: Re: Bakeware Questions by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I use half/full sheets from restaurant supply store also. But, it's a good idea to measure your oven - for length AND width. My new stove the full size fit lenghtwise, but just barely width.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com