Green onion overload
  Re: (...)
Any ideas what to do with these? Ron pulled up a boatload of these out of the snow yesterday, that we had forgotten about. They are really tasty, but much more than I can use up quickly. Made a quiche last night with some of them.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Green onion overload by Mare749 (Any ideas what to do...)
Here's a tasty appetizer. They can be made ahead and heated before serving. cut the green onions in half,they should fit in the pork with a bit of overhang on each side.

Spicy Pork Rolls

Here's an easy appetizer that's nice and tasty.
1 pork tenderloin
15 to 20 green onions
2 garlic cloves, chopped
3 tbsp chopped ginger
3 tbsp soya sauce
2 tbsp honey
3 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp hoisin
Optional
1 tbsp hot chili sauce
1 lemongrass stalk, chopped

Remove silverskin from pork, and cut crosswise into thin slices. You should have about 20 slices. Flatten to uniform thickness.
Roll each piece of meat around a few green onions. No need to fasten them, the meat will stick tgether naturally.
In a cast iron frying pan, add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Heat to medium high. Add rolls, and cook, turning often to prevent burning. They should be done in less than 10 minutes, depending on how thin you have flattened them. You need the heat high enough to thicken the sauce, but not burn them Serve hot or warm.

I have also done them in the oven. Not sure what temp, but probably 350-375.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Green onion overload by Lorraine (Here's a tasty appet...)
Also, I bet you could freeze them. I think we would just chop and freeze, no blanching nescessary.

Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Green onion overload by farnfam (Also, I bet you coul...)
what cis said.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Green onion overload by cjs (what cis said....)
We used to keep some in a glass in the fridge and have them as a snack by themselves, dipping them in salt. But then my family always was a little strange.

-Skeetor
  Re: Re: Green onion overload by Skeetor (We used to keep some...)
Lol Skeetor we do the same thing!

Do you have a dehydrater? Chop them up and make dried chives. Green onion soup, make a big batch and freeze it too.

SPRING GREEN ONION SOUP

1 1/2 cups celery, chopped (about 4 stalks)
2 bunches green onions, chopped (about 15-18, 2 1/2 cups)
2 to 3 tbsp natural oil
FOR THE SEASONINGS:
2 vegetable bouillon cubes
3 to 4 tsp tamari soy sauce or miso
3 to 4 tsp parsley
1 to 2 tsp liquid sweetener, to balance flavors
1 1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp dill weed
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp vegetable broth powder (optional)
several dashes cayenne pepper
several dashes sea kelp
FOR THE SOUP:
4 cups potatoes; chopped or-3 1/3 cups packed, cooked brown rice or other cooked whole grain
2 1/2 cups water or stock

Steam the celery until tender; set aside.

In a large frying pan, saute the green onion in oil for 1-2 minutes, then add all the seasonings and saute 1 more minute.

Filling the blender twice, blend all the ingredients together until fairly smooth, lovely green light green soup is created.

Simmer everything on medium heat for 15-25 minutes until the bite is off the onions and the flavors mingle.

Serve hot with bread, crackers, or other accompaniments. Keeps 3-6 days refrigerated.
  Re: Re: Green onion overload by DFen911 (Lol Skeetor we do th...)
I have subbed them for leeks in the Chicken and Leek Casserole I mentioned in the other thread. Worked fine, just took a boatload of onions.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chicken and Leek Casserole

Recipe By :Recipe By: (Rods84) Mike Rodman, a lake in the Ozarks
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Poultry

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 1/3 tablespoons butter
3 1/3 medium leeks -- sliced 1/4" and rings separated (I go about 2" past the white part)
1 1/3 tablespoons flour
1/3 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/16 teaspoon pepper
2/3 cup chicken stock
2/3 cup milk
2 cups chicken -- cut up
1/3 cup ham -- finely chopped
1 1/3 ounces pimientos -- (2 oz.) drained, diced
2 2/3 ounces egg noodles, yolk-free -- hot cooked
2/3 cup shredded Swiss cheese

Heat oven to 350° degrees. Heat butter in a large saucepan, over medium heat. Cook leeks in butter, about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally till softened (but before browning). Stir in flour, salt, nutmeg & pepper. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, till bubbly; remove from heat. Stir in stock & milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil & stir 1 minute. Stir in chicken (or turkey), ham and pimento.

Spread half the chicken mixture in ungreased square pan 9X9X2" (or a 2 1/2-qt. casserole). Spoon noodles over chicken mixture. Top with remaining chicken mixture. Sprinkle with cheese; bake uncovered 25-30 min., or till cheese is light brown.

Description:
""This dish is right out of Betty Crocker, which was my cooking bible when I first started this hobby (and before I got nuts about it). The ground nutmeg really makes it. Either chicken or turkey will do. This dish is also great leftovers for lunch.""

NOTES : This is a wonderful recipe! I fix this often with leftover chicken or turkey.
ALTERNATIVE METHOD: And another layer of Swiss cheese (on top of the noodles, but before dumping the second half of the chicken mixture) doesn't hurt!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Green onion overload by Gourmet_Mom (I have subbed them f...)
Daphne, that's a great recipe. Thanks for the reminder.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Green onion overload by Lorraine (Daphne, that's a gre...)
Thanks for all the recipes, everyone. They all sound good to me.

I did think about freezing some of the onions, but figured that the green part would get all soggy, so was trying to figure out something else. Drying some in the dehydrator seems like it might be a good idea.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Green onion overload by Lorraine (Daphne, that's a gre...)
I know, when I first got it, I made it on a regular basis. It's been a while now, so I'm really looking forward to it.

I don't know what happened to the credits, this came from Mike Rodman from the "other" site.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.